The CW still hasn’t greenlit its planned spinoff of “Beverly Hills, 90210” — but details of the script are starting to leak out.
According to reports on casting breakdowns and TVTracker.com, the new take on the Aaron Spelling-Darren Star sudser will focus on the Mills family of BevHills and offer a lot more racial diversity than the original show.
Matriarch of the family is Tabitha Mills, a 60-something actress/alchoholic who was a major star in the 1970s and had been linked to everyone from Warren Beatty to Jack Nicholson. After her latest bout at Betty Ford, Tabitha decides to try to live on her own in her BevHills estate.
Worried for his mom’s safety, do-gooder son Harrison “Harry” Mills, a 1980s graduate of Beverly Hills High, decides to move back home to the 90210 after years in St. Louis. He brings with him his wife, Celia, an Olympic athlete who’s looking forward to living in Cali, and ends up working as a personal trainer.
The couple have two 16-year-olds: Daughter Annie and adopted son Dixon. Annie is an emo/theater kid who’s desperate to fit in with the cool crowd. Dylan, er, Dixon is a supersmart bad boy who has lingering social and behavioral issues — and not an ounce of nerdiness in him.
According to the breakdowns, producers are open to actors of all ethnicities for the Dixon role, leaving open the possibility that the character won’t be a white male.
As for the other teen denizens in the new “90210,” writer Rob Thomas has also come up with:
- Silver, aka Daphne Silver, a wannabe socialite who hosts her own YouTube series. She becomes good pals with Annie and has a crush on Dixon (as well as the only Jewish girl at BevHills High with a black boyfriend — another hint that producers are considering making Dixon’s character non-white).
- Max Silver, Daphne’s 24-year-old brother, is a working man who manages the family movie theater at the Century City Mall (the new show’s version of the Peach Pit, perhaps?) He seems forever on the verge of a nervous breakdown and appears to be harboring some secrets.
“90210” geeks will note the Silvers share the same last name as the character played by Brian Austin Green in the original series.
- Navid Shirazi produces the high school’s student-run video newscast and is of Middle Eastern descent. He’s the consummate high school politician.
- Ethan Ward is a likable jock who falls out of favor with the “in” crowd and ends up hanging with the “90210” crew.
- Naomi Bennett is Ethan’s super-hot, ultra-rich ex-girlfriend. She appears to be a brat but will end up having more layers.
(Michael Schneider contributed to this report).