- During the NBA finals in 2004, Kimmel ticked off the city of Detroit by saying in an interview, “They’re going to burn the city of Detroit down if the Pistons win.” On Feb. 5, 2006, Kimmel took the show to Detroit to make amends. “That last night in Detroit was a fun show with a lot of energy. Being in the middle of that, and having a lot of people watching the show, you could sense that people in the city were excited to see us.”
- The Feb. 24, 2008, post-Oscar show featured Kimmel’s musicvideo “I’m Fucking Ben Affleck.” “I knew we were sitting on a stick of comedy dynamite. You always get a thrill when you know you have something good to show, and this was really good.”
- Quentin Tarantino directed an episode on April 20, 2004, that followed his trademark filmmaking style. “We did the show out of order, like his movies, starting with the end. It was a really fun show to do.”
- Don Rickles (above) appeared on the show on June 26, 2007, and Kimmel dressed up in a tux to honor the veteran nightclub star. “We devoted the whole show to Don Rickles, and Bob Newhart came on. I grew up in Las Vegas, and to be able to sit there with Don Rickles insulting you is as good as it gets.”
- Kimmel staged a stunt in May 2006 where it appeared he was bitten by a rattlesnake. He was rushed by ambulance to the hospital with the cameras rolling only to end up at the “Grey’s Anatomy” set. “It tricked the whole audience and most of the staff. But then that clip of me getting bit ended up on YouTube without the ending, so even my kid said, ‘I heard you got bitten by a rattlesnake.'”
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!