It’s hard to believe but apparently true: this handsome picture book contains more than 200 previously unpublished photos from the Irving Thalberg era at MGM. Historian Mark A. Vieira uncovered these photos, many of them production stills, while putting together a full-scale biography of the Boy Wonder. Intended as a photo album, the tome is accompanied by short essays about this complex figure, who supervised more than 400 pics during his 12 years at the studio. Until that larger bio arrives, there are ravishing photos to ogle — of Joan Crawford, Jean Harlow, Clark Gable, Greta Garbo and Thalberg’s wife, Norma Shearer, just to name a few.
Abrams; 240 pgs.; $50
Mark A. Vieira
2016-2017 Oscar Predictions
- ‘Fantastic Beasts,’ ‘Live By Night,’ ‘Allied’ Among Costume Design Oscar Contenders
- ‘Ultra Widescreen’ Version of Terrence Malick’s ‘Voyage of Time’ Set for Release (EXCLUSIVE)
- For Television, Golden Globes Voters Value ‘Kingmaker’ Role
- ‘Silence’: Will Academy Voters Embrace Martin Scorsese’s Passion Project?
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut