Music supervisor let go in wake of assault case
It looks like Simon Lee’s troubles aren’t over yet.The well-known British conductor who was arrested in Toronto on Sunday for an alleged charge of assault and forcible confinement involving a 24-year-old man, has been relieved of his duties as musical supervisor for the Toronto production of “The Sound of Music.” The London public relations firm of Brown Lloyd Jameson, speaking on behalf of Andrew Lloyd Webber’s the Really Useful Group, issued a statement Wednesday which said: “Simon is a very talented person who is extremely important to us. However, on this occasion we felt it was necessary to seek the termination of his engagement on ‘The Sound of Music’ in Toronto. The alleged events are subject to legal proceedings and, therefore, we can’t comment further.” Lee had been in Toronto as one of the judges for the Canadian version of “How Do You Solve a Problem Like Maria?” the CBC Television program that helped select the woman who would play the leading role in “The Sound of Music,” just as had previously been done in London. Contrary to earlier reports, which had placed a third individual in the room where the incident occurred, the phone call alerting the police was made by an unrelated person on the street who saw Lee’s alleged victim climbing over the balcony of the Yorkville hotel where Lee was staying. Toronto lawyer Robert Nuttall said Thursday, “The recent charges pertaining to Mr. Lee involve allegations of a domestic nature arising out of an argument between long-term partners about their relationship. These are allegations only. Mr. Lee vigorously maintains his innocence.” Lee is scheduled to appear in court on Aug. 27.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!