Duo out as Gianluigi Rondi strengthens grip
ROME — Two top Rome Film Festival honchos, Giorgio Gosetti and Teresa Cavina, have ankled after the event’s closing day, raising questions about the future shape and scope of the Eternal City extravaganza.
Gosetti and Cavina, Rome’s best-known reps on the international festival circuit, were co-directors of its Cinema 2008 section, which made up most of the competition lineup of the fest. Rome’s third edition wrapped Friday.
Gosetti also headed Rome’s informal Business Street bazaar, while Cavina was chief of Rome’s New Cinema Network co-production mart. Both events are crucial components to Rome’s international ambitions.
Gosetti and Cavina had been with the fest since its launch.
“I have a feeling that the project as a whole is taking a different direction than the one we had originally conceived,” Gosetti told Daily Variety.
Gosetti, who had been sidelined, said it would have been difficult for him to carry on under current fest prexy Gianluigi Rondi, installed in June after a local political shakeup.
Since he took office, Rondi promoted Piera Detassis, who heads Rome’s gala premiere section, as the fest’s artistic coordinator overseeing the entire official selection.
Rondi, an octogenarian and former Venice topper, said last week at the fest’s closing press conference that he wants to exercise more control over the selection and also refashion the fest. It’s not clear yet to what extent he will modify its format, which aims to please both regular Romans and international industryites.
What’s certain is it won’t be easy for Rome to replace Gosetti and Cavina with fest programmers possessing their level of expertise and contacts — at least not among candidates available in Italy.
A Rome Film Festival foundation board meeting scheduled for Nov. 11 is likely to provide further indication of Rondi’s next moves.