Where's the hope in the new indie universe?
“To paraphrase Dickens (who may even have been wiser than Mark Gill), ‘It is the best of times, it is the worst of times …’ “
– Mark Urman, prexy, ThinkFilm
– Michael Barker, co-prexy, Sony Pictures Classics “With Blu-ray getting critical mass, I think you’re going to see a reinvigoration. No one has figured out a way to make money off the Internet, but that’s going to happen, and it’ll keep us even.”
– Chris McGurk, CEO, Overture Films “As the studios, hedge funds and deep-pocketed dabblers beat the retreat from the indie film space, I am hopeful that new streams of support will emerge that not only help grow the culture but rebuild the unique supports that art film requires.”
– Ted Hope, producer, “Adventureland” (2009) “Money.”
– Mark and Michael Polish, filmmakers, “Stay Cool” (2009)
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!