Committee chooses seven films for awards
The Gucci Tribeca Documentary Finishing Fund has announced its recipients. A committee of filmmakers including Albert Maysles and Gael Garcia Bernal have chosen seven films for the fund’s awards, which total $80,000. Projects selected are:
- Ian Olds’ “The Fixer,” a film about the relationship between a kidnapped Afghan translator and his American war journalist client.
- Laura Poitras’ “Release,” which follows internees newly released from the prison at Guantanamo Bay.
- Jennilyn Merten and Tyler Measom’s “Sons of Perdition,” a doc about polygamist teenagers.
- Andrew Berends’ “Delta Boys,” which focuses a paramilitary group in Nigeria.
- Martin Syjuco and Michael Collins’ “Give Up Tomorrow,” about Paco Larranaga, who was sentenced to death for kidnapping two sisters in the Philippines in 1998.
- Marshall Curry and Sam Cullman’s “If a Tree Falls,” a look at militant environmentalist group Earth Liberation Front.
- Beadie Finzi’s “Vida Ballet,” chronicling the struggles against racism of two black Brazilian children learning to dance.