Actor suing Internationalmedia for 'Power' film
BERLIN — IM Internationalmedia on Friday dismissed a $5.6 million lawsuit filed by actor John Cusack against two subsidiary production units in connection with the cancellation of the planned actioner “Stopping Power” last year.Cusack filed the lawsuit against the companies on Wednesday in Los Angeles Superior Court, claiming he was never paid $4.5 million to star in the film, which was to shoot in Germany. Cusack said his contract called for him to get paid even if the film did not get made. Yet the Munich-based group said it was no longer liable for the contract or Cusack’s salary since it sold the film’s production unit IM Stopping Power, along with its liabilities, to the L.A.-based R Media Acquisitions in September. In addition to Internationalmedia subsidiaries Intermedia Film Equities USA and Intermedia Film Equities, Cusack is also suing IM Stopping Power and R Media. Internationalmedia stressed that R Media “undertook to assume all liabilities resulting from the production of the film,” adding that any claims brought by the production’s creditors were R Media’s responsibility. The company said it continues to expect that R Media would fulfill its obligations under the agreements made and that further litigation against it could be avoided. Internationalmedia pulled the plug on “Stopping Power” in August when financing fell through. The group later said that the cancellation of the $40 million film, which was to be helmed by Jan De Bont, had cost the company some $10 million, contributing to its $22.2 million net loss last year.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!