Actor hopes to put matter firmly behind him
LONDON — “The Dark Knight” topliner Christian Bale will not be charged for an alleged assault on his mother and sister in London last month.The U.K.’s Crown Prosecution Service has dropped the case as his family did not want to pursue it and there was insufficient evidence. The alleged incident took place at London’s Dorchester Hotel a day before the European premiere of Batpic “The Dark Knight” in London on July 20. The prosecution service said in a statement that it treats domestic incidents seriously, but feels it’s important “that the views of complainants are also taken into account when making decisions in such cases.” Bale, who denies the allegation, said through his spokeswoman, Jennifer Allen, that he was relieved the issue had been settled. The actor “hopes to put the matter firmly behind him” and will be providing no further comment, Allen said in a statement released by Bale’s lawyers. Helmer Christopher Nolan’s “The Dark Knight” is a boffo hit at the U.S. and U.K. box office and expands into France and Spain this weekend. Associated Press contributed to this report.
Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more