Car accident disrupts sequel's schedule
A de facto SAG strike couldn’t keep a “Transformers” sequel from lensing during an otherwise quiet second half of the summer.
But star Shia LaBeouf’s hand injury — the result of a car accident that led to the actor’s arrest Sunday in Los Angeles on suspicion of driving under the influence of alcohol — is throwing a monkey wrench into the production sked for the DreamWorks-Paramount co-production.
LeBeouf is recovering from hand surgery and will return to the set within a month, his publicist said.
A DreamWorks insider said there was no work stoppage on “Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen” — a follow-up to last year’s global box office hit — but added that rescheduling has proven to be a logistical headache. Scenes featuring co-star Josh Duhamel had to be moved to this week to work around LaBeouf’s absence. Another person familiar with the situation said, “Everyone had to adjust their schedule.”
Despite DreamWorks’ insistence that shooting was not halted, another source close to the project said at least two days of filming were lost on the big-budget tentpole.
The film’s director, Michael Bay, declined comment.