Spreading the gospel of “Supernatural”

Supernaturalflash_3Muscle cars. Classic rock. Scary monsters and evil demons. Chain saws. Handsome guys and hot girls. Jeffrey Dean Morgan dying. “Supernatural’s” got it all, including a hard-core fan base who have built elaborate website shrines to the series. So why isn’t it a bigger draw for the CW, especially among the “Buffy the Vampire Slayer” and “X-Files” demo?

This is a question that keeps “Supernatural” creator-exec producer Eric Kripke up at night listening to things that go bump. Not that he isn’t happy and grateful to just to have his spawn live for another season, its third, in the 2007-08 season. But he’d like to get the word out that there is hope in the Thursday 9 p.m. slot for people who like more other-worldly entertainment than the docs of “Grey’s Anatomy” or the forensics of “CSI: Crime Scene Investigation.” Hell, actor Jeffrey Dean Morgan, the cardiac-challenged martyr of “Grey’s Anatomy,” even died in the first Supernaturaljdm_3 episode of “Supernatural” last season, after cutting a deal with the devil to allow his older son to live.

“Because I believe in the humanity of man, I believe there’s a wider audience out there for this show,” Kripke joked over breakfast (brioche and coffee) the other day, down the street from Warner Bros. where “Supernatural” is produced. “I don’t think we have to live on ‘Grey’s’ and ‘CSI’s’ scraps. But we do have to find a way to get the word out that this show is out there. The people who used to watch ‘Buffy the Vampire Slayer’ are not watching anything else on the CW.”

1. ella says:

like any other fans,, i love ur article….

2. jeanie says:

they need to put more money into advertising the show
    get the word out there Supernatural RULES!!!

3. sabrina says:

im not trying to be mean but dean is hoter than sam.i love Supernatural and if it ends i don’t know what to do with me self

4. JDsgirlBev says:

Thanks for a fine article about a show that’s far better than it’s numbers indicate. The CW should certainly push this show harder.
    My comment echoes the others here. Fantastic show, well crafted stories, crack-you-up humor, awesome soundtrack.
    I’d like to see Jeffrey Dean Morgan (John Winchester) make more appearances. It was Papa John that first attracted me to this show, and while I LOVE the show, John returning as a semi-regular would excite me beyond the words to tell you!

5. Marsha says:

Thank you for this wonderful article; it is gratifying to see ANY publicity on television’s best kept – albeit circumstantially – secret. Supernatural is the best show on television today but sadly, that fact has apparently not made its way to the executive offices of the CW, nor to CBS and Warner Brothers Entertainment, for that matter. It hurts to see Mr. Kripke’s disappointment over its low ratings, or to witness Jensen Ackles’ and Jared Padalecki’s appeals to fans to spread the word. That is not to say that its legions of devoted fans aren’t doing their best to do so, but we can’t do it alone. So until the CW sees fit to modify its advertising budget and reallocate funds from inane, nonsensical, mind numbing time-wasters such as “Pussycat Dolls” and “America’s Next Top Model,” I am forever grateful to sites such as yours that obviously knows a good thing when it sees one. Supernatural will ultimately prevail, for transcendence always does, but for the sake of those not privy to its unique distinction, it needs to be SOON.

6. Schuyler says:

Wow! I an 100% in love with supernatural! It’s the only show I watch. SUPERNATURALLLLL!!!!!

7. Joan says:

Thank you for such a revealing and interesting article. I have been a huge fan
    of this show since day 1. No other show moves me the way this one does. No other show can touch Supernatural in its honesty, humor, talent and overall quality. Jared and Jensen have tapped into the realness and depth of the kind of relationship two brothers really share. Their onscreen chemistry is palpable, honest and touching. I adore both of them and I applaud them for bringing so much of themselves to the characters which they reveal to us on a weekly basis. They both captured my heart in a way I did not think possible. My entire family watches this show together. It makes me laugh, smile, cheer and cry. The music, the stories, the cool car, the history, the writing and the acting have all come together and melded into something amazing.

8. xanseviera says:

Supernatural comes a year late at my home Malaysia but I always keep my updates through internet and from some incredible Supernatural diehard forums… it’s so rare to see two hot guys work together as a team in tv series… *yeah~ and I’m not mentioning Prison Break brother or Petrellis’ siblings in Heroes*
    The storyline is so interesting and every characters have their own personalities… even the car also have it’s attitude.. *I wonder if they can show the history of Impala in one whole episode..or maybe someday*..
    Love your articles and thanks for spreading such a wonderful story about this series to the readers out there.. I’ll be waiting patiently for season 3 to be aired here~ Supernatural is the best!:D

9. realscifan says:

The humor is over the top funny. I watch the reruns on Thursday and Sunday just to catch what I missed and laugh all over again!!! Second is the chemistry between the brothers. It makes you really care about the characters. Third is the music. Great classic rock tunes. Mr. Kripke please include “Who Wants to Live Forever” by Queen in the 3rd season attaching it to Dean’s year-to-live-hell-bargin to save Sam. This is the best show on TV to date!

10. Robin Vogel says:

I cannot say enough great things about SUPERNATURAL. The acting, writing, directing are all phenomenal, and the brotherly bond created by Jared and Jensen is awe-inspiring and unique. Eric Kripke has created a show to be proud of, better than CSI and GREY’s can ever hope to be. Tune in to SUPERNATURAL and see what a truly special TV show looks like! Trust me, you won’t regret it.

11. Susan says:

Hopefully more people will be aware of this great show before season 3. Funny, angsty, seriously the best show ever!! More viewers please….!!

12. Bardicvoice says:

Thanks for a great article! Those of us who have been fortunate enough to find and fall in love with “Supernatural” are always happy to see the show get more attention that might draw new viewers curious to understand the buzz. Jensen and Jared make the most convincing brothers I’ve ever seen, with a natural chemistry that lights up the screen. On top of that, they’re both gifted actors who can deliver on both the angst and the humor. The cinematography and music are distinctive, and the writing is not only crisp and witty, but full of depth, emotion, and soul. The show has made me a “Supernatural” evangelist, preaching the word of what to watch to all and sundry. This show deserves more viewers!

13. Amy says:

Thanks for the nice article. It baffles me as to why Supernatural isn’t the #1 show on TV. It truly is the most amazing hour of TV available. In one simple hour I laugh out loud, cry, scream and am on the edge of my seat. The characters are real and the stories are perfectly written. Let’s spread the word!!

14. Tiff says:

Supernatural is a fantastic show!! I totally agree with all comments so far!! Looking forward to many more seasons!!!

15. Sans says:

Thanks for writing this article about Supernatural. It’s really awesome, well written and directed show. Jensen and Jared are not only great looking guys, they’re also talented actors. The chemistry between them’s undeniable. I love the show, so I hope there will be many more seasons coming.
    I wanna thank Eric Kripke, Jensen, Jared and everyone who works backstage on this show. I know you’re doing hard work. Just keep going!

16. Giovanna says:

It´s so good to see articles about this amazing show. The best, actually.I am Brazilian and I am used to look for information about Supernatural on the net.
    It´s the only show I watch,record, watch it again at the alternative timetable and bought the DVD box.
    So, thank you for writing and help to spread the word about SN.
    I don´t understand why such an original, well written, directed and acted show is not so big. Above all, it´s blessed with an amazing crew who clearly respect themselves.

17. TinyRedCar says:

Lovely article. Supernatural is truly one of the best television programs I’ve ever watched, and I’ve watched a few! It’s dark, funny, frightening, and exciting. And the acting and writing are top notch. I’ll never understand why it’s not huge – like Eric Kripke, I like the fact that it’s this cool secret us fans are sharing, but we need a bigger audience to keep it around. Seriously, if you haven’t already, give it a watch. It’s amazing.

18. JacklesJadalecki says:

This was a fantastic article! I’m so glad this show is finally getting recognized. People honestly, do not know what they’re missing Thursday nights. Big thanks to Jared, Jensen, and Kripke for all the hard work they do and to everyone else who works backstage on this show!
    Thank you!!

19. Samjacklover says:

I want to thank you for writing such a wonderful piece on such a wonderful show! This show has so much to say and do yet that it could live on for many, many more seasons! Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki are great actors who have grown so much with the show. They have massive careers ahead of them……
    Thank you again.

20. Kristy says:

2 words – Amazing Artical.

21. stephanie says:

Thanks for the great article on a show that truly is not given enough exposure I can’t believe more people are not watching,but thats what happens when alot of people don’t even know it exists.This show is well written,directed and has awesome actors who are not only great looking but can actually ACT. The brothers relationship is so real the chemistry is undeniable,they play like true real life brothers.I love the scares,action,the guns blasting,the fantastic fight scenes,the great humor, the drama and the great emotions the characters go thru,love the Impala,the music is a nice change from what most shows play, I love it! I want the show to stay focused on the brothers and I hope other fans of XFiles and other shows that are similar will tune in. Thanks again for the great acknowlegment of my absolute favorite Supernatural!

22. Mary says:

I started watching Supernatural by coincidence. My teenage daughter was hooked and asked me to watch it with her. I have been watching since. Sooo looking forward to season 3. The show is both angsty and homoristic, the Jensen and Jared perfect in the roles as brothers! No problems on the set? Too good to be true! Stay tuned for season 3, and ask your friends or family to watch too.

23. Mary says:

24. Lucy says:

The interaction between the brothers are unique! The stories are great! The fight against evil, – you have to love that! Greatest show ever!! In fact, the only one I watch with passion!! Actors and creators: thank you for a wonderful job. May Supernatural continue for several seasons to come!! Love it!!

25. bjxmas says:

I also cannot understand why Supernatural is not the biggest hit on TV. It certainly is the best show on TV with intricate, thoughtful storylines, riveting directing and the two finest actors working on any show.
    Jensen and Jared are not only amazing with the action and horror aspects, but also bring true comic flair to the Winchesters that counterbalances all the angst and pain they brilliantly convey.
    Of course, the absolute best part of Supernatural is watching the relationship of these brothers evolve. The emotional journey Dean and Sam have embarked on and the slow reveal of their psyches has been fascinating. They are the most complex characters I have ever seen and their depth and resonance is staggering. It does not get any better than this!
    Supernatural has everything you could possibly want in an intelligent, exciting and inspiring television viewing experience. The viewers just don’t know about it. Everyone that I get to watch the show are amazed with the quality, and uniformly ask, “Where was this show all this time?”
    Supernatural deserves all the positive media buzz it can get. Kripke and Company have created a masterpiece and the viewers need to jump on board. Its loyal fans know what a thrill ride Supernatural is week in and week out. The creative team of Supernatural are incapable of disappointing the fans and instead simply amaze us more each week with how great this show truly is.

26. Morgan says:

Thanks so much for writing this awesome article on Supernatural – this show is amazing! The chemistry between Ackles and Padalecki is what really makes this show lovable and believable. Can’t wait for season 3 to start so Kripke can take us on another whirlwind season!