Good for NBC. "The Singing Bee" got off to a strong start on Tuesday, drawing more than 13.1 million people (most of them probably jonesing for an "American Idol" fix) and an impressive 5.0 rating/14 share in the key adults 18-49 demo, per prelim Nielsens and Variety’s ratings guru Rick Kissell. The look of the fill-in-the-lyrics competish show struck me a variation on the "Deal or No Deal" melody — goofy-upbeat host (Joey Fatone), girls in shimmery micro-miniskirts, etc….but hey, more people showed up for "Bee" than they did for Fox’s telecast of the All-Star game (which pulled in about 12 million viewers, per Fox). "Bee" ranks as primetime’s top telecast in adults 18-49 in six weeks, and NBC’s best reality show debut, summer or otherwise, since "Average Joe" in November 2003, according to NBC.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Entertainment One, Los Angeles, California
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- The Los Angeles Film School, Los Angeles CA
- Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Inc., New York, New York
- MPCA, Los Angeles, California