“Heroes”: It’s no “Lost”

How lame has “Heroes” been this season? Let us count the ways…

1. The flashbacks to 1600s Japan. In theory, showing Hiro come face to face with his historic hero (Kensei) could’ve been cool. But then the producers decided to make Kensei a drunken English mercenary. Whaaa? Maybe it’ll turn out that Hiro is actually the real Kensei…but so far, the attempts at comedy have been clumsy. The show’s best character needs to get back to the future– now.

Heroespic_2

2. What’s with all the subtitles. On “Lost,” the Korean subtitles have grown less frequent as characters learn English. On “Heroes,” not only is the Japanese still comin’, but now there are two characters who speak Spanish. Great, more subtitles! Maybe next the cheerleader could take French classes. Anyway, what was once kinda cool is now just annoying.

3. Enough with the really bad product placement. Four words: “Oh, Dad! The Rogue?!” Right– because a new crossover from Nissan is what every teen girl wants these days. And while we’re on the promo soapbox, how ’bout you cut back on the constant on-screen promos for “Heroes” comicbooks, websites, cookbooks, plush toys…. One promo tells viewers to “discover more while you watch” by going to NBC.com. I’m sorry, NBC, but this season is confusing enough without surfing over to “Heroes” websites while I try to figure out this show. (Of course, I’m composing this blog post while watching episode three, but still….)

4. How about some new villains to go with the 50 billion new heroes? There’s no Syler, no Mama Petrelli. Gimme someone to boo and hiss, please!

5. Stop telling so many stories. You need a flowchart, an atlas and a dictionary to keep up with all the plotlines, locations and languages on the show this season. Instead of throwing out so many ideas, why not focus on one or two really good ones?

“Heroes” was very much a guilty pleasure for me last season. I tolerated the less-than-amazing writing and over-the-top acting because the storylines moved quickly, the concept was cool, and it was all mindless fun. Then came the confused mess of a season finale, in which producers failed to pay off any of the major storylines– indicating that maybe they were making things up as they went along.

I hoped this season would get off to a rousing start, returning the show to its Saturday morning serial best. Instead, I’m more confused by the show than ever, and– most worrisome of all– just plain bored. That’s one thing I’ve never been with “Lost.” Even when it went off on a tangent, the show’s characters remained compelling, and the writing among the best on TV.

Fair warning, “Heroes”: You’re getting dangerously close to being dropped from my Season Pass list.

— Josef Adalian

1. Judy says:

I loved this show when i first started watching it, the only issue is if you miss a show or a few you have to watch them all to catch up. Once i missed a few it just wasn’t worth it to catch up. Now Lost :) thats worth it.

2. Broooker says:

Heroes only got 9 million viewers last weeks – looks like i’m not the only one to have given up on Heroes this season.

3. Bob Boberts says:

Thank you! This show now officially sucks. It was my favorite new show last year and I didn’t miss a minute of it. And I never complained about the (somewhat disappointing) season finale. I couldn’t wait for the new season to start. And now that it has — I hate it! It feels like a totally different show and not in a good way. The story telling is lame, the acting worse. It’s BORING! Hiro should go back in time to when the writers were breaking stories this year!

4. KeepingUHonest says:

If this is the kind of critique Adalian’s Season Pass is offering, we’ll pass on his Pass! My friends all agree: The very things this critic praises on “Lost” are the things he slams on “Heroes” – the subtitles, the multiple storylines, etc… Oh, and hey, Josef, we’ll remind you since you forgot to do your homework: The first season finale of “Lost” had us expecting big hints about the island’s history, island-dweller supernatural powers, or something substantial about the mysterious hatch. What did we get? The island’s mysterious hatch was opened, leading to a ladder and an apparently endless tunnel. The smart creators/showrunners of “Lost” and “Heroes” know not to tip their hat too soon, in spite of the occasional impatient critic whining, “But I want it now…”

5. fireboy says:

Right on. Complexity is good. Confusion is not. And the repetitive nature of the story-telling is where the boredom comes from. Now, we’ve got Nikki and Micah saying goodbye again? Even the character says”This always happens” Bleh. And Uhuru is supposed to be a fun surprise? We did Star Trek last year. How about Batman this year. Adam West is a fun guy. Pull him out of the woodwork. I’m with you %100. This show is one more weak episode away from getting dropped off my DVR.

6. Dave says:

1. The flashbacks are fun. Hiro’s optimism is a nice contrast to Kensai’s money first attitude.
    2. Subtitles give the show an international flavor, and emphasizes one of the shows major themes that heroes come from all over not just America. The subtitles add to the show not detract from it. I’m sorry not all of us have to take notes while watching which is probably why you dislike the subtitles.
    3. The product placement sucks. Right on there.
    4. I read somewhere they were bring Sylar back as well as some new villains, but they are needed.
    5. The Many stories are what makes heroes worth watching. Seeing how they interweave later in the season is half the fun, plus the writing isn’t good enough to focus on less stories; it would get boring. I’m sorry you have to take notes and can’t follow the multiple story lines but it really isn’t that complicated.

7. RoobyTooShooz says:

Yes, Heroes has taken a turn for the worse. The Nissan tie-in is very, very cheesy. The storylines started to lose me middle of last season–too convoluted. I sampled the first two episodes this season and I have had enough already. I won’t be back to sample the rest of the season. Now, if only Hiro could travel back to November 1999 and give Al Gore a little assist…now, that would be history worth changing and I would consider watching again.

8. RoobyTooShooz says:

9. hill_w says:

Korean subtitles on “Lost,” not Japanese.