Network management must approve use

NEW YORK — CNN issued a blanket ban against the use of campus killer Cho Seung-hui’s video except with approval from the network’s Standards and Practices unit.

Several news networks including CNN told Variety on Thursday that they had begun severely limiting the use of the video after a public outcry over their violent content.

On Friday, CNN U.S. prexy Jon Klein to took the additional step of banning the video and any still images with Cho Seung holding guns, unless approved by management.

An internal memo, posted on Gawker.com, said several future pieces on Cho Seung, including John King’s package “First Killing Why?” and Sean Callebs’ “Cho the Early Years” will have the video scrubbed out.

Going forward, sources said the CNN Special Investigations Unit has tentative permission to use the video for Soledad O’Brien’s special “Massacre at Virginia Tech,” which is scheduled to air Saturday and Sunday night, 8pm eastern.

But the editing on that piece hasn’t been completed and sources said it was unclear if it would use the video.

The CNN policy comes amid a widespread backlash from the public against the use of the photos and video, which were mailed by Cho Seung to NBC between shootings on Monday morning.

The photos and video arrived at NBC on Wednesday and since then networks hungry to have some new information on the reclusive killer, have made liberal use of the images.

Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
Post A Comment 0