Project market unveils selections
The Pusan Promotion Plan, a project market held in tandem with the Pusan Intl. Film Festival, has unveiled 35 selections for its 10th edition.
Helmers participating include Fruit Chan from Hong Kong, Hong Sangsoo from South Korea, Bahman Ghobadi from Iran, Sono Sion from Japan, Santosh Sivan from India, and Wang Xiaoshuai, Wang Bing and Xie Dong from China.
Internationally recognized producers Terence Chang (“Mission: Impossible 2”) and Peter Fudakowski (“Tsotsi”) will be in attendance with projects “The Wooden-Man Chamber of Shaolin Temple” and Joseph Conrad adaptation “The Secret Sharer” respectively. Taiwanese auteur Tsai Ming-liang will also participate as a producer on Taiwanese project “New Sorrowful to a Ghost.”
The PPP is also in its second year of a partnership with the IFP No Borders Intl. Co-Production Market in New York, under which the two events each swap a pair of titles.
U.S. projects “The Sea of Tranquility” by helmer Michael Kang and “The Flicker’s Dance” by helmer Priyanka Kumar are this year’s selections.
Scheduled for Oct. 8-11, the 10th PPP will hand out numerous cash awards and arrange hundreds of meetings between filmmakers and prospective financiers from around the world. The 35 projects hail from 18 countries and were selected from 200 submissions.
The event has long formed the heart of the various associated industry events that have helped to put the Pusan Intl. Film Festival on the map. From last year, the PPP and other events have been grouped together under the umbrella of the Asian Film Market.
Pusan Promotion Plan 2007 Lineup
- “11 Flowers” (China), dir. Wang Xiaoshuai
- “Bahman Ghobadi Project” (working title) (Iran), dir. Bahman Ghobadi
- “Bi, Don’t Be Afraid” (Vietnam), dir. Phan Dang Gi
- “Boy With Grenade” (India), dir. Santosh Sivan
- “Don’t Look Up” (HK/South Africa/Japan), dir. Fruit Chan
- “The Eight Sentiments” (South Korea), dir. Sung Ji-hae
- “Empty Chair” (Iran), dir. Saman Estereki
- “Farewell” (working title) (South Korea), dir. Park Ki-bok
- “Feast of Villains” (China), dir. Pan Jianlin
- “First Page Taipei” (U.S./Taiwan), dir. Arvin Chen
- “The Flicker’s Dance” (U.S.), dir. Priyanka Kumar
- “Flowers in the Sky” (Sri Lanka), dir. Prasanna Vithanage
- “Hometown” (China), dir. Wang Bing
- “Honey” (Turkey), dir. Semih Kaplanoglu
- “I Am Happy” (working title) (S. Korea), dir. Yoon Jong-chan
- “The Iceman” (China), dir. Diao Yinan
- “Intimate Stranger” (Japan), dir. Nakamura Mayu
- “The Island Funeral” (Thailand), dir. Pimpaka Towira
- “Joan and the Voices” (Armenia), dir. Mikayel Vatinyan
- “Kim’s Island” (S. Korea), dir. Lee Hae-jun
- “Knife” (Singapore/Thailand/China), dir. Dong Xie
- “Les Vacances noires” (S. Korea), dir. Kim Tai-sik
- “Memory” (HK/China/S. Korea), dir. Daniel Wai-Kwok Yu
- “New Sorrowful to a Ghost” (Taiwan), dir. Joseph Nan Hong Kuo “Night and Day” (S. Korea), dir. Hong Sang-soo
- “On Next Sunday” (Japan), dir. Kemmochi Satoki
- “Pesantren” (Indonesia), dir. Nurman Hakim “Room of Dreams” (Japan), dir. Sono Sion
- “Samten” (China), dir. Zhang Miaoyan
- “Scent of Heaven” (S. Korea), dir. Min Boung-hun
- “The Sea of Tranquility” (U.S./South Africa), dir. Michael Kang
- “The Secret Sharer” (U.K.), dir. Larry Yust
- “The Virgin Goddess” (India/Nepal), dir. Kanala N.T. Sastry
- “The Wooden-Man Chamber of Shaolin Temple” (HK/U.S.), dir. Benny Lau
- “Yang Yang” (Taiwan), dir. Cheng Yu-Chieh