After “Spider-Man 3″ kicked off the season with record-breaking box office, the pressure is on for Paramount and DreamWorks Animation’s third “Shrek” installment to deliver. While “Shrek the Third” — flooding 4,122 U.S. theaters as the frame’s only new wide rollout — will no doubt land at No. 1, it remains to be seen whether the green guy can post numbers to match the last film’s $108 million opening in 2004. Third “Shrek” has been tracking so far to open around the $100 million mark, but tracking on CG films tends to be tricky as data overlooks kiddies’ interests. Meanwhile, in more limited release, Magnolia will send Hal Hartley’s “Fay Grim” to 27 screens, while ThinkFilm runs with Luke Wilson’s “The Wendell Baker Story,” the Yari Group bets on gambling film “Even Money” and Fox Searchlight spotlights romantic musical “Once.”
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Company Confidential, New York, New York
- Entertainment Partners, New York City, New York
- University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania