Laurence Fishburne and indie banner A-Mark Entertainment have acquired feature rights to Paulo Coelho’s adventure novel “The Alchemist” from Warner Bros. Fishburne has written the screenplay for the feature and is also set to direct. He’ll produce with “The Lord of the Rings” producer Barrie Osborne and Helen Sugland in a reteaming of the producers for “Akeelah and the Bee.” A-Mark co-chairmen Steve Markoff (“Alpha Dog”) and Bruce McNall will exec produce. Story centers on a young Spaniard who embarks on a quest to find a hidden treasure within the Egyptian pyramids. Since its debut in 1988, the novel has sold more than 40 million copies in over 150 countries.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Company Confidential, New York, New York
- Entertainment Partners, New York City, New York
- University of California, Los Angeles, Los Angeles, California
- Drexel University, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania