Internet service to carry news and reviews
Variety and MSN have concluded a deal under which Variety content will be available to MSN’s 465 million unique users worldwide.
Under terms of the deal, MSN will carry a broad range of entertainment topics from Variety, including breaking news, reviews, columns, blogs and in-depth coverage of awards shows and film festivals.
Aside from carrying the material, MSN will provide links to Variety.com.
Among the many items also included in the deal:
- Hundreds of reviews each year, including movie critiques from chief film critic Todd McCarthy, as well as reviews of TV and music;
- Anne Thompson’s weekly film column;
- Cynthia Littleton’s online TV column;
- The Set List, Phil Gallo’s blog on the music industry;
- Season Pass, the blog in which various Variety editors and reporters appraise the TV season;
- Video coverage of daily entertainment news;
- Video of celebrity interviews.
“Variety has long provided the best source of information to meet the needs of entertainment industry professionals,” said Variety president-publisher Charlie Koones. “Variety.com also allows us to provide the kind of insider insights and scoops that the broader entertainment enthusiast wants. Our distribution partnership with MSN will allow their users to enjoy the kind of in-depth entertainment coverage only Variety can provide.”
MSN exec producer-general manager Jeff Dossett added, “For decades, Variety has set the standard in reporting on the entertainment industry. We’ve seen a growing appetite on MSN for Hollywood information, and this collaboration will help us continue to offer our audience the best source for what’s happening in the entertainment industry.”
The material will be available via the complementary services MSN and Windows Live, a set of personal Internet services and software. Localized versions of MSN are available in 42 markets and 21 languages.