ABC says it's still planning to air the eight episodes of "Lost" scripted before the strike. Showrunner Damon Lindelof, however, is hoping ABC doesn't do that.
"That would not be ideal," he said Wednesday during the showrunners picket in front of the Disney lot. "It would be a lot like airing the six last year."
Lindelof was referring to the Alphabet's decision to split last season's "Lost" into two cycles, starting with a six-episode fall appetizer. Fans hated the pacing, and ABC ended up making a deal that called for "Lost" to air in 16-episode spurts over the next three years.
But now that the strike is threatening to make a 16-episode arc impossible– at least this season– ABC execs so far seem inclined to just put on the episodes they have. Lindelof knows it's not his call, but he seems to be hoping ABC shows restraint.
"Shows move at their own speed," he said. "You design the speed based on the length of the season, and if that season is cut short, you careen out of control."
Fox execs seem to subscribe to the Lindelofian theory of series scheduling. Net decided Wednesday to put "24" on hold until it was certain all the episodes could air uninterrupted.