Suzanne and Tom Update

Actor Suzanne PleshetteSuzanne Pleshette may have lost all her hair — but she hasn’t lost her sense of humor. I received this card from her:

“Suzanne Pleshette & Tom Poston Medical Update:

Bad news: I lost all of my  hair. — Good News: I’m saving a fortune on Bikini Waxes

I look like sh*t — Tom has lost all peripheral vision so he doesn’t know.

Tom has a catheter in his dickie — At his age we’re just glad he has a lump in his pants.

We have round the clock nurses, a walker and a wheel chair —

WE’RE MADLY IN LOVE AND WE FEEL LUCKY. AIN’T LIFE GRAND!!!!!!”

I phoned Suzanne. She sounded — like Suzanne — loud, laughing and full of life.

“We’re doing so well –” she started. “It’s all going according to plan. I’ve finished the chemo and I’ll have the surgery in a week.” She indicated the prognosis for the surgery was excellent. “And,” she added, “I hope your cold is better.”

1. David Meltzer says:

Dear Suzanne,
    I am one of your classmates from PS9, David Meltzer.
    The last time I saw you in person was when you were starring in The Miracle Worker on Broadway and I came backstage to visit you. You threw open your dressing room door and sang the old PS9 School song.
    I remember you as being a very popular and bright student. You were always smiling and very kind to all of us. I remember meeting your parents in your West End Avenue apartment. I lived across the street from you.
    I am praying that you will make a complete recovery from Cancer and I am sorry about the loss of your late husband Tom Poston.
    My prayers and thoughts are with you. Sincerely, David Meltzer Meltzerd@aol.com

2. Linda Thurlby says:

Hi Suzanne: I have been thinking of you and worrying about your health so I was delighted that you are doing so much better. I am glad you were able to get to your reunion. I am so sorry about Tom. You aren’t much older than I but I have always enjoyed your performances and personality. You have influenced lives in a very positive way and that is what life is all about.
    God Bless you!
    Linda Thurlby

3. Dee says:

Dear Suzanne,
    You have always been one of my fav actresses ever since I was a little kid. I’ve always admired your class, charm, fashion sense and sharp wit.
    I want to extend my sympathy in loss of your husband. I always enjoyed him on the Newhart show.
    I am praying for your speedy recovery, and I hope you will try ESSIAC tea–a cancer remedy herbal tea that has cured thousands that were at the end of their ropes. It was first used by the Ojibawe tribe and perfected by a Canadian-French nurse named Rene’ Caisse (Essiac spelled backwards).
    Just GOOGLE it and there’s lots of information.
    I hope you will find this very beneficial.
    God Bless You,
    Dee

4. Maria Calmont Barbosa(from Brazil-RIO) says:

Hi Suzanne
    I am the Brazilian girl(then) that visited your parents in 1968 in West End Av.(NY) I live in Rio de Janeiro.
    Only now I knew about Mr Poston. Please receive my condolences.
    I also learn by the Internet about your health problems.
    As you are my all the time
    favorite acress I hope you recover sooner than possible.
    God Bless you
    Maria Calmont Barbosa
    Rio de Janeiro- Brazil

5. Steve Weitzen says:

Wanted to send my condolences, and wishes for you to get well. I have enjoyed both you and Tom Poston throughout my life, and you and Mr. Poston were each (interestly enough), separately, two of my mother’s favorite entertainers. She passed on prior to your marriage to Tom Poston and would have loved hearing about it.
    With warm wishes,
    Steve Weitzen

6. Barbara Childress says:

Suznanne,
    When I was in high school,I wanted to look just like you,I even dyed my hair black, which upset my mom.I would take pictures of you to the salons(in the 60’s it was called “Beauty Shop”)to have my hair styled like yours.
    Funny how I started thinking about you today ,got on google and typed your name,to find out you have been ill and also lost Tom.I’m very sorry and I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.
    I know you have wonderful memories of such a fullfied life you have been apart of.
    Good Bless You!
    Barb

7. Debbie says:

I remember as a young kid back in the 60’s pretending to be movie stars. You, Ann-Margret, Pamela Tiffin, Sandra Dee were our favorites. I wish you all the best in the world & hope the cancer just goes away.

8. Tom Di-Grazia says:

Darling Suzanne ; in the early 60’s, your photo used to appear
    in the australian newspapers almost every week.
    You have been my favourite Film Star since I was a Teenager.
    I shall pray for you.
    God Bless you, Darling.
    Tom Di-Grazia / Doncaster / Melbourne / Australia

9. Kathy says:

Suzanne, I posted at the 2guystalking site, where I found out about Tom. :( but I think maybe you will come to this site.
    You are one of the world’s great beauties, oh, we all wanted to look like you on Bob’s show. Your face, your clothes.. dang, all I have is the throaty voice.
    I have watched and admired you since ” The Birds”.
    And Tom… he was the ultimate comic. I can imagine the laughter in your household.
    I was so happy when you and Tom married, to find love later in life, but now, only to have it snatched away after such a short time. Be strong through this terrible time, get well and know that millions love you and feel your loss

10. susan says:

My condolences to you. Like so many others I, too, have been a longtime fan of yours. You have the kind of spirit that helps others feel good about being human despite the pain we all endure. I was so truly sorry this week to hear about the death of your husband Tom, another person who I have always really liked and appreciated.
    My thoughts are with you and I hope the support from others helps soften the terrible edges of this loss.
    Susan

11. Linda Barber (you and Tom stayed with me in Santa Barbara0 says:

Dear Suzanne,
    I was so sorry to hear about Tom. I have thought of you often, when you and Tom stayed with me in Santa Barbara. I still wear the pj’s you gave me. I remember the comment about the slow life sitting on the porch swing and just enjoying the day. Loved the rock he gave you.
    Linda

12. Janis says:

Dear Suzanne:
    A number of years ago, I ran into to you and Tom in the parking lot of Dan Tanner’s. I was thrilled to meet you as I was waiting for my car- what struck me most was how much love you seemed to share and you were both enjoying each other and were acting like newlyweds not hollywood types- p.s. you even mentioned how much you liked my shoes! My sincerest condolences on the loss of your beloved-I hope that all your memories will carry through this most difficult period.

13. Jeanne says:

Dear Suzanne,
    I am so sad to hear that your husband has died. Weren’t you lucky to have two happy marriages. My husband passed away 15 years but I have never re-married yet.
    I used to love watching you when you were on the Bob Newhart Show. You were so wonderful.
    I hope your health improves. It must be nice to know how much joy you brought to people you never even know. What a life!

14. Nancy Henderson says:

Dear Suzanne, You have my deepest sympathy,Tom is at rest, now you have to take care of yourself, my thoughts and prayers are with you, and a St.Jude candle is lit for you also.God Bless you and watch over you…Sincerely, Nancy Henderson

15. Marylou says:

I’m saddened to hear of Tom Poston’s passing and my condolences on your loss. It sure sounded as though the two of you had a wonderful life together and a lot of laughs. I was a fan off Tom’s since I was a kid and watched Steve Allen on Sunday nights. He was just a wonderful talent and apparently from what I’ve read, a genuinely wonderful person as well. I’ve always loved your movies and TV work, to the point of trying desperately to copy your hairstyles through the years, starting with ‘Rome Adventure’. Cut my very long hair short for that one. My favorite movie of yours is “If it’s Tuesday, This Must Be Belgium”. What a cast, and it still makes me laugh to this day.I even started calling my boyfriend “Charlie Brown” after Ian McShane’s Charlie Cartwright. I married the guy and almost forty years later, I still call him Charlie Brown.
    Wishing you heartfelt condolences and my very best wishes for a speedy, complete recovery. You are most definitely loved and appreciated.

16. Dean Wright says:

Deeply saddened by your loss…

17. Susan St.Jean says:

Dear Ms. Pleshette
    I just wanted to let you know of the heart felt sympathy that I have for you. The lost of your wonderful husband is very sad. He will be greatly missed by all.
    I am wishing great health in your battle with cancer.
    May God Bless you, you are a very great and brave lady……..Susan St.Jean

18. Martha McCrann says:

Dear Ms. Pleshette,
    After watching the public TV show about Bob Newhart I googled your name to see what you;ve been doing for the past several years. I was a fan of the Newhart show and loved your character, Emily. As a youg, suburban mom with 3 children, I envied your sophisticated lifesyle in a Chicago high rise. What a great apartment you had! Alas, it’s all a facade and we all must live with life as it really is. I want you to know how sorry I am about the loss of your husband. Tom Postum was a wonderful talent and such a fabulous comedian. You must miss him so. Please know that I have some understanding of what you are going through. I have patients with lung cancer that are going through their second round of treatment and doing very well. I ‘ve become friends with a couple that are helping one another go through cancer and the aftermath of treatment. So, I can say that there is hope and good reason to believe there is more of life to look forward to living. Cancer is a chronic disease, not a death sentence. Incidentally, we all have that! I will pray that what time the good lord gives you is full of life,laughter and love. You deserve it as you have given that to so many of us who have watched you on TV over the years. May your time be filled with good memories of the life you have lived and not the time you might lose. Eric Erikson taught us about how reflection on our good memories and good deeds of the past sustain our souls in the months or years of our aging or infirmity. Make notes, take notes, and read our postings. You’re receiving lots of good kharma, prayers and emotion. I hope it makes you feel better in your time of deep sorrow, illness and loss.
    Regards, a fan

19. Karen Satcowitz says:

Just want to say how sorry I am for the loss of your wonderful husband. I also want to tell you that I am an 8 1/2 year lung cancer survivor. I am now 64. My cancer also had spread but here I am. I had surgery, chemo and radiation and I have never had a recurrrence. I wish for you the same results.
    Karen Satcowitz
    New York

20. Cyndi says:

Dear Suzanne, i was reading a clipping about you bout with cancer and googled you to see whats been going on and as i clicked onto MSN i saw the postscript about your beloved husband Tom. I am deeply saddened, as a fan, and for the pain of all you are enduring and now this loss. I always have felt you were one of the special people and i hope the dark cloud lifts from you in godspeed. Prayers and toughts your way. Cyndi

21. Patricia says:

Hi Miss Plehette,
    I’ve been a fan for years and thought you were so beautiful. I named my daughter after you. She too is very beautiful.
    I’ll keep you in prayer and that the Lord will keep you healthy and remove any pain or heatache. I’m so sorry for your loss.
    Sincerely,
    Patricia Gonzales, Calif

22. Sean Bagley says:

Dear Miss Pleshette,
    It must be so odd to receive notes from folks you’ve never met. However all of us adore you & wish you the power to get well. Your so very, very funny, gorgeous & forever fabulous. Please hurry & get better so we can see you in new projects, very soon! Best to Mr. Postum, too!
    Warmest regards—
    Sean Bagley
    Litchfield County Connecticut

23. Karen Morris says:

Suzanne:
    I feel that I have been a fan of yours for practically forever. Since I was 11 yrs. old and now I am 46. You absolutely were and are a great role model for young women. I was surprised to have dreamt of you last night and you had very pretty “blonde” hair. Your acting craft has endured through all the years and so has your boundless energy and personality. I wish the very best to you and your Mister. Keep on “keeping on” and remember there are millions of people out there rooting and praying for you.
    God Bless and Keep You Close to Him.
    Karen Morris

24. Louise Gallagher says:

Dear Tom and Suzanne,
    We both love you guys so much. Suzanne, I admired your beauty and class; Tom, your spontaneous humor ranks right up there with the best. We wish you both a speedy, full recovery.
    Sincerely,
    Jim and Louise Gallagher
    Palm Beach County, FL
    (Formerly of Fairfield County, CT)

25. Shane says:

I am watching you in a movie with James Garner. “Support Your Local Gunfighter” You are adorable.

26. Paula says:

You and Tom are Hollywood at its best. Your love story is what movies are made from. Get well soon we need you back in our homes.

27. ThinkingLady says:

Suzanne, at the end of the Bob Newhart Show, when I guess Bob got tired of it, you (and Howard) carried the show, and those were the best few episodes of all. I expected the next season to feature “The “Emily Hartley Show Starring Suzanne Pleshette” but it never happened. You’re the best! Take care.

28. Stuart Finley says:

My wife and I wish you and Tom the very best. It is impossible for me to tell you how much joy you two have given me over the past years.

29. Andrea Hanan says:

My father Hyman Cohen worked with your father at the Paramont Theater. My father is deceased now. What about your fathere. I met him when my father arranged a meeting with him. I too wanted to get into show business. I was a singere with a band in those days. I then met my husband of 39 years and became a music teacher. Both of us sing on the side. My husband was in love with you. He always thought you were beautiful and special. I agreed. He said I sort of looked like you but I guess you were his first choice. I don’t mind. By the way Raquel Welsh has nothing over you except maybe a bigger bra size. But what a face you have. I know you will fight this cancer and come out of it okay. Bob, my husband and I are rooting for you. Andrea Hanan

30. Jay Hull says:

I think your the BEST and I wish you and Tom a very FULL & SPEEDY recovery.
    Your 1 in a billion in my book!
    jay in Los Angeles

31. HAPY BIRTHDAY SUZANNE
    From Mendoza city at the west of Argentina I send you my congratulations and I whish you the best in so special day and curcumstances. I’m 59 y.(biochemist) and I watched you when I was 14, (Rome Adv) I have followed your career and life, always thinking some day you will know of my existence and why not be able to call you to hear your voice for me. (only a dream).
    Today is my birthday too.
    I send oll my afect and admiration. CARLOS

32. Nazer Mahmud Parvez says:

Hi I am your great fan.

33. robert rifkind says:

hey suzanne,myself and my parents ellie and julie rifkind your old neighbors at empire west 14th floor are routing for you and tom.we got to know you for 9 years and remembering you always letting your dogs on me when you would hear me go to the elevators,i always got a kick from you,you are a very tough person but also very nice.i was honored to see your soft side,i wont tell anyone about that.we are in boca raton fl,i miss los angeles and the building,alot of crazy people like your dear friend norby.well we hope you are doing well also tom whih i found out you are both sick.keep fighting.love aways the rikinds and pumpkin

34. Nazer Mahmud Parvez says:

Hi Suzanne Pleshette,
    I very much like you and love you.

35. Anita says:

Suzanne, get well soon.I am praying for you and know you will have a complete recovery. I have followed your career for many years.
    Love, Anita

36. jeannine ratter says:

I wish her the very best. I have long thought she was the “last of the great broads”.

37. Barb Molitor says:

Dear Suzanne Pleshette,
    I watched you while in my twenties, during your run on the Bob Newhart Show.
    I’d like for you to know that you are a role model for me.
    For many women it was Mary Tyler Moore;for me it was you.
    You were one classy dame then, and you’re one classy dame now.
    May Gods healing love ever be present.
    Wishing you a wonderful holiday season.

38. karl anglin says: