Magic Castle founder names greatest magicians of all time
Here’s Magic Castle founder Milt Larsen’s list of the 10 greatest magicians of all time.
1. Harry Houdini: Before my time, but he must have been good. The top moneymaker in vaudeville and a great showman.
2. Dante: He took over the (Howard) Thurston shows, and it was a marvelous full-stage extravaganza. He lived into the ’50s and was still performing when I was a kid. I’d have to say he was the most impressive magician I’ve ever seen.
3. Harry Blackstone Sr.: He did a very large stage show in the vaudeville circuits. Harry Blackstone Jr. was a wonderful magician, too.
4. Doug Henning: He proved magic would work on television. He changed the image of the old-time magician.
5. Richiardi: Mainly worked in South America. One of the really great and innovative illusionists.
6. Tihany: A Hungarian illusionist who has traveled to Mexico and South America with a spectacular show in a 2,000-seat tent and a cast of more than 100.
7. Mark Wilson: His “Magicland of Allakazam” children’s show also pioneered magic on network TV.
8. Siegfried and Roy: Their work with animals and their spectacular showmanship brought stature to magic in Las Vegas.
9. Lance Burton: One of the most charming entertainers in the world of magic.
10. Dai Vernon: Known as the Professor, he was a beloved performer, writer and teacher.