You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

NBC U schools kid programs

Peacock parent to bow children's shows in fall

Peacock parent NBC Universal has engineered an elaborate children’s programming blueprint to fill the network’s Saturday-morning schedule beginning in the fall.

Called “Smart Place for Kids,” the three-hour block of children’s shows also will run on two NBC siblings: Telemundo, for its weekend-morning schedules in Spanish, and Ion Media, for its lineup of 60 owned TV stations. NBC’s contract with Discovery Kids, the current supplier of programming for Saturday morning, expires in August.

NBC, Ion and Telemundo declined to talk about specific shows, but they’ve commissioned Scholastic, Classic Media/Big Idea and Nelvana to supply the programming, along with NBC U.

The producers will devise programming to meet the requirements of the Federal Communications Commission for TV stations to program at least three hours a week of educational/informational shows for kids.

Ion plans to draw on its programming partners to eventually create a 24/7 digital broadcast network. The partners will contribute more than 1,000 half-hours of children’s programming to the network, all of it library product except for one original series a year each from the four production operations, led by NBC U.

The majority owner of the new network will be Ion, with a 51% stake. The remaining 49% gets divvied up equally among the remaining partners.

More TV

  • This Is Us cast SAG Awards

    Sterling K. Brown, 'This Is Us' Cast Talk Time's Up at SAG Awards

    Peacock parent NBC Universal has engineered an elaborate children’s programming blueprint to fill the network’s Saturday-morning schedule beginning in the fall. Called “Smart Place for Kids,” the three-hour block of children’s shows also will run on two NBC siblings: Telemundo, for its weekend-morning schedules in Spanish, and Ion Media, for its lineup of 60 owned […]

  • Frances McDormand SAG Awards

    SAG Awards: Actors Fall Hard for 'Three Billboards' but the Oscar Race Is Far From Over

    Peacock parent NBC Universal has engineered an elaborate children’s programming blueprint to fill the network’s Saturday-morning schedule beginning in the fall. Called “Smart Place for Kids,” the three-hour block of children’s shows also will run on two NBC siblings: Telemundo, for its weekend-morning schedules in Spanish, and Ion Media, for its lineup of 60 owned […]

  • Veep SAG Awards

    SAG Awards TV Winners: 'Big Little Lies,' 'Veep' Propel HBO Over Netflix, Hulu

    Peacock parent NBC Universal has engineered an elaborate children’s programming blueprint to fill the network’s Saturday-morning schedule beginning in the fall. Called “Smart Place for Kids,” the three-hour block of children’s shows also will run on two NBC siblings: Telemundo, for its weekend-morning schedules in Spanish, and Ion Media, for its lineup of 60 owned […]

  • SAG Awards Snubs and Suprises

    SAG Awards: Biggest Snubs and Surprises

    Peacock parent NBC Universal has engineered an elaborate children’s programming blueprint to fill the network’s Saturday-morning schedule beginning in the fall. Called “Smart Place for Kids,” the three-hour block of children’s shows also will run on two NBC siblings: Telemundo, for its weekend-morning schedules in Spanish, and Ion Media, for its lineup of 60 owned […]

  • No Merchandising. Editorial Use Only. No

    SAG Awards 2018: Rose Marie, Don Rickles, Adam West Honored During In Memoriam

    Peacock parent NBC Universal has engineered an elaborate children’s programming blueprint to fill the network’s Saturday-morning schedule beginning in the fall. Called “Smart Place for Kids,” the three-hour block of children’s shows also will run on two NBC siblings: Telemundo, for its weekend-morning schedules in Spanish, and Ion Media, for its lineup of 60 owned […]

  • William H. Macy SAG Awards

    William H. Macy at SAG Awards: 'It's Hard to Be a Man These Days'

    Peacock parent NBC Universal has engineered an elaborate children’s programming blueprint to fill the network’s Saturday-morning schedule beginning in the fall. Called “Smart Place for Kids,” the three-hour block of children’s shows also will run on two NBC siblings: Telemundo, for its weekend-morning schedules in Spanish, and Ion Media, for its lineup of 60 owned […]

  • Kristen Bell SAG Awards

    Kristen Bell Calls for 'Empathy and Diligence' During SAG Awards Opening Monologue

    Peacock parent NBC Universal has engineered an elaborate children’s programming blueprint to fill the network’s Saturday-morning schedule beginning in the fall. Called “Smart Place for Kids,” the three-hour block of children’s shows also will run on two NBC siblings: Telemundo, for its weekend-morning schedules in Spanish, and Ion Media, for its lineup of 60 owned […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content