A look at Mauceri's career on disc
Though famous for its live shows, the Hollywood Bowl Orchestra was actually launched as a recording project by Philips in 1990. John Mauceri recorded 13 CDs for Philips with the ensemble, many of which ranked high on the classical-crossover charts. Philips issued a 2-CD Greatest Hits compilation in 2001.
Among the highlights of Mauceri’s career on disc:
- “Candide” (1986), his mentor Leonard Bernstein’s musical, with NYC Opera Orchestra. Grammy winner as Best Opera Recording.
- “My Fair Lady” (1987), Lerner & Loewe musical with Kiri Te Kanawa, Jeremy Irons, London Symphony Orch.
- “Hollywood Dreams” (1991), his debut disc with the Bowl Orchestra, featuring newly restored concert suite from “The Wizard of Oz.”
- “The Gershwins in Hollywood” (1991), another Bowl Orchestra project, named Album of the Year by High Fidelity.
- “The King and I” (1992), Rodgers & Hammerstein musical with Julie Andrews, Ben Kingsley and the Bowl Orchestra.
- “Hollywood Nightmares” (1994), Bowl Orchestra compilation of classic scores including “King Kong,” “Sunset Blvd.,” “Spellbound.”