Director Peter Weir has ankled “Shantaram,” the Warner Bros. adaptation of the Gregory David Roberts novel. While several sources said Weir and star Johnny Depp were unable to get on the same page and decided the pairing wasn’t meant to be, a WB spokesman claimed the conflict had been broader than that. Depp is still expected to star as an Australian heroin addict who escapes a maximum-security prison, reinvents himself as a doctor in the slums of India and winds up a gun-runner and counterfeiter who fights against invading Russian troops in Afghanistan. Warners has just begun talking to directors to replace Weir but remains optimistic that production will start by spring 2007.
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut