“Memoirs of a Geisha” and “Brokeback Mountain” will not be shown in mainland China after high-ranking officials deemed both unfit for consumption. With homosexuality still largely taboo in China, the gay cowboys of “Brokeback” may be more than a domestic audience can take. Meanwhile, it seems “Geisha” has fallen victim to anti-Japanese sentiment. Government officials fear the sight of some of China’s best-loved thesps – Gong Li and Zhang Ziyi, as well as Hong Kong star Maggie Cheung – playing Japanese courtesans could prove inflammatory for mainland auds.
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut