You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

‘Let’s Face It,’ Mel’s in a mess

Guest column by Kirk Douglas

“Let’s Face It” is the title of a nonfiction book I’m writing.

In it, I criticize Mel Gibson’s “The Passion of the Christ” for anti-Semitism. But I still wrote: “I don’t find Mel Gibson anti-Semitic. He worked with Jews and has many Jewish friends.” I wrote this in spite of the fact that his father, Hutton Gibson, is an anti-Semite and denier of the Holocaust.

And then Mel got drunk and ranted about “sugar tits” and the “f– Jews always starting a war.” There is a Talmudic saying: “When wine comes in, truth goes out.” I believe that. Within the deep recesses of his mind, there apparently lies a cancerous sore of hatred for the Jews.

When Hezbollah dug a tunnel into Israel, killed eight soldiers, kidnapped two more and showered Israel with bombs, did Mel think that the Jews were starting a war?

Mel’s first apology was too contrite and seemingly not remorseful. His second was an afterthought — oh yes, about those Jews.

Of course, it may be too difficult to deal with the huge amount of money and worldwide fame that his prodigious talent brought him. Did these successes lead to his alcoholism? This is a serious problem that Mel has to face.

After many years of rehabilitation, our son Eric died from an overdose. The experts could only console us with the three C’s:

You didn’t cause it.

You can’t control it.

You can’t cure it.

How ironic is it that Mel’s television production company was preparing a series on the Holocaust? It has been canceled.

Mel is now ready to talk with a Jewish group or a rabbi. I disagree. He is a Catholic and appears to need some spiritual guidance. Perhaps he should first talk to one of his own faith. Maybe Cardinal Roger Mahony could be a great help.

Whether it is about self-hate, or hatred of others — let’s face it — Mel is in a mess.

More Film

  • Justice League

    Box Office: 'Justice League' Leads the Way With $37 Million at Chinese Box Office

    “Let’s Face It” is the title of a nonfiction book I’m writing. In it, I criticize Mel Gibson’s “The Passion of the Christ” for anti-Semitism. But I still wrote: “I don’t find Mel Gibson anti-Semitic. He worked with Jews and has many Jewish friends.” I wrote this in spite of the fact that his father, […]

  • Producer Paula Wagner on Making Thurgood

    'Mission: Impossible' Producer Paula Wagner on Making Thurgood Marshall Movie

    “Let’s Face It” is the title of a nonfiction book I’m writing. In it, I criticize Mel Gibson’s “The Passion of the Christ” for anti-Semitism. But I still wrote: “I don’t find Mel Gibson anti-Semitic. He worked with Jews and has many Jewish friends.” I wrote this in spite of the fact that his father, […]

  • Movie Biz Diversity Crisis: Industry Quantifies

    Movie Biz Attempts to Grapple With Diversity Crisis

    “Let’s Face It” is the title of a nonfiction book I’m writing. In it, I criticize Mel Gibson’s “The Passion of the Christ” for anti-Semitism. But I still wrote: “I don’t find Mel Gibson anti-Semitic. He worked with Jews and has many Jewish friends.” I wrote this in spite of the fact that his father, […]

  • Justice League

    Box Office: 'Justice League' Stalls with $94 Million Opening Weekend

    “Let’s Face It” is the title of a nonfiction book I’m writing. In it, I criticize Mel Gibson’s “The Passion of the Christ” for anti-Semitism. But I still wrote: “I don’t find Mel Gibson anti-Semitic. He worked with Jews and has many Jewish friends.” I wrote this in spite of the fact that his father, […]

  • 12th and Clairmount Movie Review

    Film Review: '12th and Clairmount'

    “Let’s Face It” is the title of a nonfiction book I’m writing. In it, I criticize Mel Gibson’s “The Passion of the Christ” for anti-Semitism. But I still wrote: “I don’t find Mel Gibson anti-Semitic. He worked with Jews and has many Jewish friends.” I wrote this in spite of the fact that his father, […]

  • Sam Rockwell

    Film News Roundup: Palm Springs Festival Honors Sam Rockwell for 'Three Billboards'

    “Let’s Face It” is the title of a nonfiction book I’m writing. In it, I criticize Mel Gibson’s “The Passion of the Christ” for anti-Semitism. But I still wrote: “I don’t find Mel Gibson anti-Semitic. He worked with Jews and has many Jewish friends.” I wrote this in spite of the fact that his father, […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content