You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

ITV, Clear Channel bid on cinema ad biz

Pearl & Dean put up for sale by SMG

LONDON — Clear Channel and Blighty terrestrial broadcaster ITV are among some 40 firms understood to be bidding for Pearl & Dean, the U.K. cinema ad biz put up for sale by SMG, which owns two Scottish TV licenses.

Pearl & Dean is reportedly valued at up to $108 million.

ITV owns Carlton Screen Advertising, which controls 75% of the U.K. cinema advertising market. Pearl & Dean has the remaining 25%, so a successful ITV bid would likely be referred to competition regulators.

An ITV spokeswoman declined to comment.

In other ITV news, regulators have refused the web’s request to cut tyke fare from the afternoon schedule of flagship web ITV1.

The network wants to air ratings-friendly entertainment to compete with commercial rivals, especially pubcaster hybrid Channel 4, which has no obligation to air kid fare.

But communications regulator Ofcom refused to allow ITV to shift kids’ shows to its children’s web CITV.

ITV recently trimmed tyke shows on ITV1 from 90 minutes a day to an hour.

Kidvid makers, already furious at ITV’s decision to close its children’s production arm, will welcome Ofcom’s decision.

More Film

  • Stacey Snider Chairman and CEO 20th

    Fox Chief Stacey Snider Addresses Sale to Disney in Moving CinemaCon Speech

    LONDON — Clear Channel and Blighty terrestrial broadcaster ITV are among some 40 firms understood to be bidding for Pearl & Dean, the U.K. cinema ad biz put up for sale by SMG, which owns two Scottish TV licenses. Pearl & Dean is reportedly valued at up to $108 million. ITV owns Carlton Screen Advertising, […]

  • Paradigm's Liz Morentin portrait session in

    Liz Morentin Named Head of Communications for Paradigm Talent Agency

    LONDON — Clear Channel and Blighty terrestrial broadcaster ITV are among some 40 firms understood to be bidding for Pearl & Dean, the U.K. cinema ad biz put up for sale by SMG, which owns two Scottish TV licenses. Pearl & Dean is reportedly valued at up to $108 million. ITV owns Carlton Screen Advertising, […]

  • avengers infinity war

    'Avengers: Infinity War' Scores Third-Largest Fandango Pre-Sale

    LONDON — Clear Channel and Blighty terrestrial broadcaster ITV are among some 40 firms understood to be bidding for Pearl & Dean, the U.K. cinema ad biz put up for sale by SMG, which owns two Scottish TV licenses. Pearl & Dean is reportedly valued at up to $108 million. ITV owns Carlton Screen Advertising, […]

  • Ted Lim MGM

    MGM Hires Veteran Participant Media Executive Ted Lim

    LONDON — Clear Channel and Blighty terrestrial broadcaster ITV are among some 40 firms understood to be bidding for Pearl & Dean, the U.K. cinema ad biz put up for sale by SMG, which owns two Scottish TV licenses. Pearl & Dean is reportedly valued at up to $108 million. ITV owns Carlton Screen Advertising, […]

  • Rodeo Estonia Documentary

    The EFP at Hot Docs: European Docmakers Record New Cultural Shifts

    LONDON — Clear Channel and Blighty terrestrial broadcaster ITV are among some 40 firms understood to be bidding for Pearl & Dean, the U.K. cinema ad biz put up for sale by SMG, which owns two Scottish TV licenses. Pearl & Dean is reportedly valued at up to $108 million. ITV owns Carlton Screen Advertising, […]

  • ArteCareyes Ecology

    Mexico's ArteCaryes Film and Arts Festival Marries Cinema With Mother Nature

    LONDON — Clear Channel and Blighty terrestrial broadcaster ITV are among some 40 firms understood to be bidding for Pearl & Dean, the U.K. cinema ad biz put up for sale by SMG, which owns two Scottish TV licenses. Pearl & Dean is reportedly valued at up to $108 million. ITV owns Carlton Screen Advertising, […]

  • Tom Hiddleston

    Tom Hiddleston Talks ‘Avengers: Infinity War’ and Landing Loki

    LONDON — Clear Channel and Blighty terrestrial broadcaster ITV are among some 40 firms understood to be bidding for Pearl & Dean, the U.K. cinema ad biz put up for sale by SMG, which owns two Scottish TV licenses. Pearl & Dean is reportedly valued at up to $108 million. ITV owns Carlton Screen Advertising, […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content