Magnolia has acquired Thai cowboy pic “Tears of the Black Tiger” from Miramax and will open the film in January, nearly six years after it was first acquired at Cannes. Movie, shot in bright colors and with stylized action scenes, follows a forbidden love story set in Thailand in the 1950s, with many conventions of the Western both depicted and sent up.Pic has taken a circuitous route since it screened on the Croisette in 2001. Miramax, then run by the Weinsteins, bought the pic at the fest, in what was a post-“Crouching Tiger” frenzy for foreign-language martial-arts pics.
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut