BEIJING — The Motion Picture Association (MPA) has filed civil suits against the operators of two pirate DVD stores in Beijing seeking damages, costs and an assurance to stop selling pirated movies.Org said its members were seeking damages of $7,500 against companies operating the Feng He Ri Li and Yu Hao Qing retail outlets, both in Beijing’s central business district. Both outlets have been raided before by copyright offiicals and the police. In May this year, Chaoyang police seized 13,000 pirated DVDs from Feng He Ri Li. Increasingly big brands and representative orgs are taking the legal route to stop piracy. In 2002 and 2003 the MPA initiated 10 civil cases against manufacturing and retail sales operations in China. Those cases were all settled or judged in favor of the member company plaintiffs.
- Triptyk Studios, New York, New York
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Bridgewater Associates, Westport, Connecticut
- Company Confidential, Aspen, Colorado
- Save the Children, Fairfield, Connecticut