Best reason to get your green on? According to a recent UCLA study, the film and television industry is only second to Los Angeles’ oil refineries in polluting the air.
Herewith, a few simple things Hollywood can do to make a difference:
- Hold next year’s offsite retreat at Gaia Napa Valley, one of several chic new green hotels that use solar power, conserve water and were built using recycled materials.
- Get a TerraPass — the holiday gift that Participant Prods. passed out to its employees last year — which calculates and pays for your carbon emissions (at home or in the air or on the road) and funds renewable energy. Road passes start at $29.95 per year.
- Do like Universal this season and save a forest or two by sending out e-holiday cards. Or opt for recycled holiday notes from PristinePlanet.com.
- Reduce waste on film and TV sets. “The Matrix” films managed to recycle 97% of the productions’ set material. Also, be sure to buy lumber that has been certified by the Forest Stewardship Council
- Instead of saying “thank you” with the ubiquitous cupcake delivery, send a gourmet eco-gift basket from IdealBite.com, a favorite of producer/activist Laurie David. The site also sends out daily tips for living a greener life.