Anchor has never asked to leave 'America'
NEW YORK — Diane Sawyer isn’t a candidate to replace the late Peter Jennings as anchor of “World News Tonight,” ABC News said Monday.
The net ruled out Sawyer after a report in Broadcasting & Cable said she was angling for the job, potentially forcing ABC News prexy David Westin to choose between Sawyer and her “Good Morning America” co-anchor Charles Gibson.
But ABC News spokesman Jeffrey Schneider said Sawyer is not a candidate and has never asked to leave “Good Morning America.” “She is not a candidate for the ‘World News Tonight’ job, but in a post-Peter Jennings world, there is more for everyone to do, and Diane will be doing more for us, including documentaries in primetime and other things,” Schneider said.
Sawyer’s primetime docus will take the place of the periodic “Peter Jennings Reports,” separate from ABC newsmagazines “20/20” and “Primetime.”
Gibson and “20/20” co-anchor Elizabeth Vargas have been alternating as interim anchors since April, when Jennings announced he had been diagnosed with lung cancer. Those two, along with ABC News correspondent Bob Woodruff, are considered the strongest candidates for the job.