Twentieth Century Fox has acquired rights to the character “Emily the Strange” and will make a feature film that mixes live-action with animation. The movie will be done through 20th Century Fox Animation. Emily the Strange is a rail-thin 13-year-old whose clothes are as black as her hair and as dark as the tone of her adventures. Reger hatched this symbol of anti-cool in 1993 through promotional stickers, skateboards and T-shirts that he distributed from his garage. Emily has grown into a multimillion-dollar industry, including an apparel line, three bestsellers published by Chronicle Books and an upcoming quarterly from Dark Horse Comics.
Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more
- MLB Network, Secaucus, New Jersey
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- Scripps Networks Interactive, New York, New York
- Emerson College, Boston, Massachusetts
- Amnesty International, London, City of London