In the last session before the studios start their summer stretch, distributorss and exhibitorss alike hope that a passel of newcomers will end a blah spring season on a high note. Theaters are preparing for a lot of new films this weekend, with three wide releases and one national expansion. Going out the widest is Universals thriller “The Interpreter” with 2,758 locations. Also opening are Disney’s “A Lot Like Love” at 2,502 venues and New Line laffer “King’s Ransom” at 1,508. Also, after playing two weeks on seven screens, Sony Pictures Classic’s “Kung Fu Hustle” will move up to 2,500 playdates. Next week, Sony and Disney will attempt to move up the summer starting line to the end of April with “XXX: State of the Union” and “The Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy.”
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!
- Entertainment One, Los Angeles, California
- Petrol Advertising, Burbank, California
- The Los Angeles Film School, Los Angeles CA
- Lincoln Center for the Performing Arts, Inc., New York, New York
- MPCA, Los Angeles, California