In a seven-figure deal that took two years to complete, Universal and Playtone partners Tom Hanks and Gary Goetzman will turn the children’s book series “Amelia Bedelia” into a live-action feature film. Herman Parish, nephew of “Amelia Bedelia” creator Peggy Parish, will write the script. He has continued writing the 40-year-old series since his aunt’s death in 1988. “Amelia Bedelia” revolves around a housekeeper whose literal interpretations of instructions left by her employers always leads to trouble. Peggy Parish was an English teacher who began writing the series in 1963 to teach young students that words aren’t always meant to be taken literally.
Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more
- MLB Network, Secaucus, New Jersey
- John Paul the Great Catholic University, Escondido, California
- Cal State U Fullerton, Fullerton, California
- Brooklyn College, CUNY, New York
- Fork Films LLC, New York, New York