'Oceans' players have brushes with reality
No one said actors weren’t self-absorbed.Last week Sony announced that it will develop “Chad Schmidt” as a vehicle for Brad Pitt, who would play the title role — an actor who looks a lot like… Brad Pitt. Thesps from John Malkovich (“Being John Malkovich”) to Larry David (“Curb Your Enthusiasm”) have played roles that are comic riffs on their own real-life selves. But Pitt’s new gig isn’t the first such foray for an “Ocean’s Twelve” castmember. Pitt’s pic clique seems especially obsessed with such meta-characters. Consider:
- George Clooney: Exec produces cable television’s “Unscripted,” starring struggling mid-level actors as struggling mid-level actors; and exec produced “K Street,” starring political consultants James Carville and Mary Matalin as political consultants Carville and Matalin.
- Steven Soderbergh: Teamed with Clooney on the above projects; starred as himself in his own film, the inside joke-filled “Full Frontal” (as did Pitt).
- Matt Damon: Played himself in “Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back”; and played “Matt” in the Clooney-helmed “Confessions of a Dangerous Mind” (Pitt plays “Brad”).
- Julia Roberts: Starred in “Ocean’s Twelve” as Tess Ocean, who, her fellow characters realize, looks a lot like Julia Roberts; and played a world-famous actress in “Notting Hill.”
- Catherine Zeta-Jones: Played a world famous actress in “America’s Sweethearts.”
- Jerry Weintraub, producer: plays execs in “Full Frontal” and “Confessions.”
- Bernie Mac: “The Bernie Mac Show”
Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more