Rockers team with Sinclair, Guy East for pic

Pete Townshend and Roger Daltrey, the surviving members of the Who, have partnered with Spitfire Pictures’ Nigel Sinclair and Guy East on a feature documentary about the band.

“My Generation: Who’s Still Who” will be directed by Murray Lerner, who made 1970 docu “The Who — Live at the Isle of Wight” and won an Oscar for the doc “From Mao to Mozart: Isaac Stern in China.”

Townshend, Daltrey, Sinclair and East will produce with Bill Curbishley and Robert Rosenberg, the band’s longtime managers at Trinifold. Spitfire will sell territories for the doc, which will be ready for a theatrical release mid-2006.

Sinclair said several distributors are eager to handle the pic.

Townshend and Daltrey will be interviewed and will supply their own archival material. They are appealing to fans to contribute footage they may have shot; they’ve set up Web site http://www.thewhomovie.com as a repository.

The band contacted Spitfire because of its role in putting together “No Direction Home: Bob Dylan,” a Martin Scorsese-directed doc that is nearly complete and will air in two parts on PBS Sept. 27-28.

“When you think of the four pillars of that era, you think of the Beatles, the Rolling Stones, Bob Dylan and the Who,” Sinclair said. “Pete is one of the greatest British songwriters, and the band was this powerful stage force with the guitar-smashing, the longform rock operas.” Spitfire will make two other films that will be released as part of a DVD package, including one that will use footage from two previously unseen Who concerts that capture the band at the height of its powers.

Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more
Post A Comment 0