The Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences’ Scientific & Technical Awards Committee announced Thursday that 17 sci-tech achievements are under consideration for the upcoming 78th Oscars.
Org releases the list early “to allow individuals and companies with similar technology or claims of prior art the opportunity to submit their technology for review,” said committee chair Richard Edlund.
The selected methods or devices will be demonstrated Oct. 18 in the Academy’s Linwood Dunn Theater.
The committee will meet Dec. 7 to vote on recommendations to the Acad’s board of governors, which makes final award decisions.
The Sci-Tech Oscars will be presented Feb. 18 at the Beverly Hilton.
- Sparrow Head; Doggicam Systems
- High Speed Pneumatic Accelerator; Jeff Haberstad
- Precision Stunt Airbag; Precision Stunt Safety Specialists
- Telescoping Scissor Camera Crane; Filmotechnic
- Gyrostabilized Autorobot/Russian Arm Camera Crane; Filmotechnic
- Traveling Cascade Camera Crane; Filmotechnic
- Cablecam’s Multi-Axis Systems; Cablecam International, Inc.
- Syflex–The Cloth Simulator; Syflex, LLC
- Cloth Simulation for Film; Pixar Animation Studios
- ILM: Image-Based Modeling; Industrial Light & Magic
- Ambient Environment Lighting; Industrial Light & Magic
- Subdivision Surfaces in Motion Picture Production; Pixar Animation Studios
- Rosetta Separations–Digital YCM Masters for Digital Film
- Preservation; Pacific Title and Art Studio
- Realtime Answer Print System; Technicolor
- HFC Brumagic MPST Densitometer; Hollywood Film Company
- Cinelux Premiere Cinema Projection Lenses; Schneider Optics, Inc.
- Aerohead Remote Camera Head and J-Viz Pre-Visualization System; Aerohead LLC