You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Yahoo! picks pix in Japan

TV Bank offers movie, video clips online

TOKYO — Yahoo! Japan and its parent company Softbank on Monday launched TV Bank, a new online movie and video clip service, on the Yahoo Japan Web site.

TV Bank offers recent and classic Japanese and foreign films divided into three levels: free, Yahoo Premium and BB members ($2.47 per month) and pay-per-view ($3.19 for seven days).  

Softbank holds a 60% share in TV Bank, Yahoo Japan the remaining 40%.

In addition to films, TV Bank supplies a wide range of content in its library of 100,00 items, including movie news, TV dramas, comedies, animation, sports and games. It has also expanded its free offerings, including Korean TV dramas, which are a potent lure to Japanese viewers.

Speaking to the press on Monday, Softbank prexy-CEO Masayoshi Son said the target for the site is 40 million unique users per month, or about the same number as currently visit the entire Yahoo site.

Launched in 1981, Softbank operates broadband telecommunications and Internet-related businesses, including Yahoo Japan. In May 2004 it acquired Japan Telecom with the aim of moving into the mobile phone market.

More Film

  • 'Blue Night' Review

    Tribeca Film Review: 'Blue Night'

    TOKYO — Yahoo! Japan and its parent company Softbank on Monday launched TV Bank, a new online movie and video clip service, on the Yahoo Japan Web site. TV Bank offers recent and classic Japanese and foreign films divided into three levels: free, Yahoo Premium and BB members ($2.47 per month) and pay-per-view ($3.19 for […]

  • Cannes: Matteo Garrone's 'Dogman' Sells Widely

    Cannes: Matteo Garrone's 'Dogman' Sells Widely Prior to Premiere (EXCLUSIVE)

    TOKYO — Yahoo! Japan and its parent company Softbank on Monday launched TV Bank, a new online movie and video clip service, on the Yahoo Japan Web site. TV Bank offers recent and classic Japanese and foreign films divided into three levels: free, Yahoo Premium and BB members ($2.47 per month) and pay-per-view ($3.19 for […]

  • 'Corbin Nash' Review: Wannabe Vampire Franchise

    Film Review: 'Corbin Nash'

    TOKYO — Yahoo! Japan and its parent company Softbank on Monday launched TV Bank, a new online movie and video clip service, on the Yahoo Japan Web site. TV Bank offers recent and classic Japanese and foreign films divided into three levels: free, Yahoo Premium and BB members ($2.47 per month) and pay-per-view ($3.19 for […]

  • 'Super Troopers 2' Box Office Tops

    Box Office: 'Super Troopers 2' Tops Amy Schumer's 'I Feel Pretty' on Thursday Night

    TOKYO — Yahoo! Japan and its parent company Softbank on Monday launched TV Bank, a new online movie and video clip service, on the Yahoo Japan Web site. TV Bank offers recent and classic Japanese and foreign films divided into three levels: free, Yahoo Premium and BB members ($2.47 per month) and pay-per-view ($3.19 for […]

  • Omar Epps stars in TraffikPhoto: Scott

    Film Review: 'Traffik'

    TOKYO — Yahoo! Japan and its parent company Softbank on Monday launched TV Bank, a new online movie and video clip service, on the Yahoo Japan Web site. TV Bank offers recent and classic Japanese and foreign films divided into three levels: free, Yahoo Premium and BB members ($2.47 per month) and pay-per-view ($3.19 for […]

  • Selina Lo, Michelle Yeoh Join Cast

    Selina Lo, Michelle Yeoh Join Cast of ‘Boss Level’ (EXCLUSIVE)

    TOKYO — Yahoo! Japan and its parent company Softbank on Monday launched TV Bank, a new online movie and video clip service, on the Yahoo Japan Web site. TV Bank offers recent and classic Japanese and foreign films divided into three levels: free, Yahoo Premium and BB members ($2.47 per month) and pay-per-view ($3.19 for […]

  • cinedigm

    Cinedigm Signs Six Chinese Partnerships at Beijing Film Festival

    TOKYO — Yahoo! Japan and its parent company Softbank on Monday launched TV Bank, a new online movie and video clip service, on the Yahoo Japan Web site. TV Bank offers recent and classic Japanese and foreign films divided into three levels: free, Yahoo Premium and BB members ($2.47 per month) and pay-per-view ($3.19 for […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content