The Screen Actors Guild is giving the vidgame biz one more try.
Org has scheduled a June 30 meeting of its national board to consider an interactive media agreement that its national executive committee rejected Tuesday (Daily Variety, June 22).
Negotiating committee that worked out the deal unanimously endorsed it, albeit after voicing reluctance when they failed to win residuals on best-selling games, their primary goal.
Leaders of SAG sib AFTRA approved the deal, but members of the Membership First coalition on the national executive committee voted against it, denying the contract the 60% approval it needed to pass.
Members of SAG prexy Melissa Gilbert’s Restore Respect coalition are clearly hoping to overrule that decision on the national board, which has the authority to pass the contract with a simple majority vote. Restore Respect holds a small majority on the national board.
“When the NEC rejected the tentative contract earlier this week, we said we’d explore all our remaining options,” said SAG exec director Greg Hessinger. “Since then, we have received feedback from enough of our membership to conclude that this matter must be brought before the full board for its consideration.”
SAG initially had until today to make a decision about the deal, but Howard Fabrick, chief negotiator for the vidgame companies, Wednesday extended that deadline to June 30 to give the guild a chance to reconsider.
It’s not clear yet whether every Restore Respect member will endorse the contract. National board’s decision will also depend on how many members are able to attend the meeting on short notice.
If SAG’s national board doesn’t ratify the deal, AFTRA will be the only actors’ union involved in vidgames when the agreement takes effect on July 1, as publishers are unlikely to renegotiate.