You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

B’way ‘Bug’ extinguished

Letts' show to close Jan. 30

“Bug” will be extinguished Jan. 30.

Tracy Letts’ motel drama goes out having played 385 performances, which in current Off Broadway terms is closer to 11 years than the production’s actual 11 months. “Bug,” which won the Lucille Lortel Award for top drama of the 2003-04 season, opened Feb. 29 at the Barrow Street Theater.

While Off Broadway is awash with plays, the vast majority of them are produced by nonprofit orgs for limited runs. In addition to “Bug,” the only other commercially produced Off Broadway plays are “Modern Orthodox,” which opened last week; Joanna McClelland Glass’s “Trying,” which closes Jan. 2; and “Jewtopia” and “Pieces (of Ass),” both of which continue in their open-ended runs.

“Bug” producer Scott Morfee said the production had recouped its $260,000 capitalization, and has paid back 80% to investors. Whether the remaining 20% will be repaid depends on January business.

Morfee added that the show had announced but not posted its closing. Translation: If business improves significantly, “Bug” may crawl past that Jan. 30 shutter date.

Morfee produced the Dexter Bullard-helmed play with Amy Danis.

Also, Eve Ensler’s “The Good Body” will close even earlier than expected.

Having previously announced it would end its limited run Jan. 2 (Daily Variety, Dec. 9), which cut two weeks off its planned 12-week stay at the Booth Theater, solo show now will close Sunday.

It will have played 27 previews and 40 performances.

More Legit

  • From left, creators Steve Martin and

    Steve Martin and Edie Brickell's 'Bright Star' Rises at the Ahmanson

    “Bug” will be extinguished Jan. 30. Tracy Letts’ motel drama goes out having played 385 performances, which in current Off Broadway terms is closer to 11 years than the production’s actual 11 months. “Bug,” which won the Lucille Lortel Award for top drama of the 2003-04 season, opened Feb. 29 at the Barrow Street Theater. […]

  • The Prom Broadway

    Musical Comedy 'The Prom' Sets Broadway Run for November 2018

    “Bug” will be extinguished Jan. 30. Tracy Letts’ motel drama goes out having played 385 performances, which in current Off Broadway terms is closer to 11 years than the production’s actual 11 months. “Bug,” which won the Lucille Lortel Award for top drama of the 2003-04 season, opened Feb. 29 at the Barrow Street Theater. […]

  • Torch Song review

    Off Broadway Review: Harvey Fierstein's 'Torch Song' With Michael Urie

    “Bug” will be extinguished Jan. 30. Tracy Letts’ motel drama goes out having played 385 performances, which in current Off Broadway terms is closer to 11 years than the production’s actual 11 months. “Bug,” which won the Lucille Lortel Award for top drama of the 2003-04 season, opened Feb. 29 at the Barrow Street Theater. […]

  • Springsteen on Broadway opening

    Bruce Springsteen Extends Broadway Run?

    “Bug” will be extinguished Jan. 30. Tracy Letts’ motel drama goes out having played 385 performances, which in current Off Broadway terms is closer to 11 years than the production’s actual 11 months. “Bug,” which won the Lucille Lortel Award for top drama of the 2003-04 season, opened Feb. 29 at the Barrow Street Theater. […]

  • Tracy Letts

    Stagecraft Podcast: Blackmail Led Tracy Letts to Acting (Listen)

    “Bug” will be extinguished Jan. 30. Tracy Letts’ motel drama goes out having played 385 performances, which in current Off Broadway terms is closer to 11 years than the production’s actual 11 months. “Bug,” which won the Lucille Lortel Award for top drama of the 2003-04 season, opened Feb. 29 at the Barrow Street Theater. […]

  • profiles theatre Sexual Harassment

    Sexual Harassment in the Theater: How Chicago Fought Back

    “Bug” will be extinguished Jan. 30. Tracy Letts’ motel drama goes out having played 385 performances, which in current Off Broadway terms is closer to 11 years than the production’s actual 11 months. “Bug,” which won the Lucille Lortel Award for top drama of the 2003-04 season, opened Feb. 29 at the Barrow Street Theater. […]

  • The Band's Visit

    Broadway Box Office: Promising Start for 'The Band's Visit'

    “Bug” will be extinguished Jan. 30. Tracy Letts’ motel drama goes out having played 385 performances, which in current Off Broadway terms is closer to 11 years than the production’s actual 11 months. “Bug,” which won the Lucille Lortel Award for top drama of the 2003-04 season, opened Feb. 29 at the Barrow Street Theater. […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content