Brandenburg, Deakins among the recently elected
Six new governors, five of them first-timers, will represent their branches on the board of governors of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences starting Aug. 1.
The newly elected governors are Rosemary Brandenburg (art directors branch), Roger Deakins (cinematographers), James N. Gianopulos (executives), Howard “Hawk” Koch (producers), Phil Alden Robinson (writers) and Martin Levy (public relations). Levy previously repped his branch from 1991-2002.
The Academy also has re-elected incumbent members Kathy Bates (actors), Curtis Hanson (directors), Freida Lee Mock (documentary), Tom Rolf (film editors), Arthur Hamilton (music), Carl A. Bell (short films and feature animation), Donald C. Rogers (sound) and Jonathan Erland (visual effects).
Each branch elects or re-elects one of three governors each year. Governors who were not up for re-election and will continue on the board are:
- Actors: Ed Begley Jr., Tom Hanks
- Art directors: Jeffrey Kurland, Jeannine Oppewall
- Cinematographers: Caleb Deschanel, Owen Roizman
- Directors: Gilbert Cates, Michael Mann
- Documentary: Michael Apted, Arthur Dong
- Executives: William Mechanic, Tom Sherak
- Film editors: Dede Allen, Donn Cambern
- Music: Charles Bernstein, Bruce Broughton
- Producers: Larry Gordon, Kathleen Kennedy
- Public relations: Sid Ganis, Cheryl Boone Isaacs
- Short films and feature animation: Jon Bloom, June Foray
- Sound: J. Paul Huntsman, Kevin O’Connell
- Visual effects: Richard Edlund, Bill Taylor
- Writers: Fay Kanin, Frank Pierson