HOLLYWOOD — Disney is disputing press reports stating that Ben Affleck’s “Ghosts of Girlfriends Past” has been pulled due to budget issues and recent negative press surrounding Affleck.
Disney issued an official statement Friday saying the movie had been put on hold due to casting issues surrounding the other roles in the pic.
As yet the studio has not put pic in turnaround nor did it know if the pic would be going forward at a later date.
The report created an embarrassing barrage of publicity for Affleck and the studio, who are teamed on other projects.
Studio brass confirmed they are not shopping it to other studios or financing partners.
“Unfortunately the timing did not work out for us on this particular project,” said Nina Jacobson, president of the Buena Vista Motion Pictures Group. “Ben and LivePlanet are our partners in this movie and several others currently in development and in pre-production. We look forward to a long and fruitful relationship with them.”
Affleck’s reps would not comment on whether the studio would have to pay the actor $15 million for a pay-or-play deal on the movie.
Sources would only say that legal and relationship-wise things are “getting discussed and settled.”
LivePlanet recently inked an overall production deal at the studio.
However, studio brass did say they were actively looking for a new movie for “Past” helmer Betty Thomas and Affleck.
“Right now the fate of this movie is uncertain but we are actively looking for movies for Betty and Ben. This movie is not happening now, and we don’t know how or when it will happen. The first order of business is to keep these folks in family and put them to work, as we have a lot of other things that are right for both of them,” Jacobson said.