ILM, Cannom, ESC among nominees
Corrections were made to this article on Sept. 15, 2003.Industrial Light & Magic, recognized for its CGI work on “Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl,” is among 14 companies being considered by the Scientific & Technical Awards committee for the 76th Academy Awards. Kudos will be doled out Feb. 14 at the Ritz-Carlton Huntington Hotel in Pasadena. Sci-tech achievements under consideration include silicone appliances designed by Greg Cannom, 2001 Oscar winner for makeup (“A Beautiful Mind”); the lighting reconstruction toolkit by ESC Entertainment, the company that brought f/x to “The Matrix Reloaded” and “Revolutions”; a multi-axis camera system by Cablecam, a 1999 sci-tech winner; Digidesign’s Pro Tools digital audio workstation; and Hot Gears remote camera systems by Salamati Prods., previously feted by the Society of Operating Cameramen. Sci-Tech committee chair Richard Edlund said announcing the nominees gives those with similar technology the opportunity to submit their creations for review. Such entries must be received by the Academy of Motion Picture Arts & Sciences by 5 p.m. Sept. 25. After a demo of the considered technologies Oct. 21 at the Acad’s Goldwyn Theater, the committee will vote on the tech achievements to determine its nominees for Oscar statuettes, plaques and certificates. The number of achievements feted depends on the type and quality of achievements. Last year’s winners of the Academy Award of Merit were Alias/Wavefront, for its development of Maya, a 3-D animation, dynamics, modeling and rendering production tool; and Arnold & Richter Cine Technik and Panavision, for their continuing development and innovation in the design and manufacturing of advanced camera systems. The following is a list of the fourteen sci-tech achievements in consideration:
- Ultimate Director’s Finder (UDF): Kish Optics
- Kinoton FP 30/38 EC High Spped Studio Projector; Kinoton America
- Kodak Process-Surviving Film Antistatic Thecnoloby; Eastman Kodak Company
- Influential Work in High Dynamic Range Imaging and Image-Based-Lighting; ICT Graphics Lab
- Digidesign Pro Tools Digital Audio Workstation; Digidesign
- Massive Animation System; Massive Ltd.
- Subsurface Scattering Rendering System (SCAT); ILM
- ESC Entertainment Lighting Reconstruction Toolkit; ESC Entertainment
- Truematch Compact Fluorescent Lamp Series, KF29, KF32, and KF55; Kino Flow, Inc.
- Cablecam’s Multi-Axis Systerm; Cablecam International
- Series of four separate but intergrated Macro/Micro 8/70 and 15/70 3-D Camera Heads; Image Quest 3-D Ltd.
- Hot Gears Remote Systems; Salamati Productions, Inc.
- Digital Hybrid Wireless Microphones; Lectrosoncis, Inc.
- Silicone Appliances (special makeup); Greg Cannom
Follow @Variety on Twitter for breaking news, reviews and more