Publication may say Hello! to lawsuit

Zeta-Jones, Douglas able to sue for breach of contract

LONDON — Catherine Zeta-Jones and Michael Douglas have won a partial victory in their case against Hello! magazine.

The High Court Friday agreed the couple could claim damages for breaches of commercial confidentiality, but ruled they had not suffered an invasion of privacy because Britain has no law of privacy.

Zeta-Jones had claimed her privacy was violated when Hello! published six snatched photographs from her glitzy New York wedding to Douglas after the pair had signed an exclusive deal with rival U.K. celeb mag, OK!.

Neither star was in court for today’s verdict, but in a statement they said the principle that every individual had the right to be protected from media intrusion had been recognized.

However, Hello! publishing director Sally Cartwright said: “We are enormously pleased” and that the magazine’s action had been “completely exonerated.”

OK! had claimed $2.45 million and the Douglases $700,000 in damages, but any payment they eventually gain runs the risk of being swallowed up by their share of a $4.2 million legal bill.

A decision on the amount of damages and on the share of the legal costs was adjourned to a further date.

Want to read more articles like this one? SUBSCRIBE TO VARIETY TODAY.
Post A Comment 0

Leave a Reply

No Comments

Comments are moderated. They may be edited for clarity and reprinting in whole or in part in Variety publications.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

More Biz News from Variety

Loading