Army Archerd among honorees at Publicists' awards
This article was updated on March 25, 2002.Hollywood publicists tapped unit publicist Spooky Stevens as winner of their Les Mason award in ceremonies Wednesday at the Beverly Hilton. The 39th annual event, which drew over 900 attendees, also honored KABC-TV reporter George Pennacchio with the press award, while Showtime’s Andrew Warne won the international award. The luncheon was the first to take place since the publicists joined IATSE Local 600 of the Intl. Cinematographers Guild as a result of that local’s recent merger with Publicists Guild Local 818. Event launched with IA president Thomas Short presiding over a “passing of the gavel” ceremony from former Publicists Guild president Fran Zell to Local 600 prexy George Spiro Dibie. In previously announced kudos,
- Jerry Weintraub received the Motion Picture Showmanship Award from Matt Damon and Brad Pitt;
- “West Wing” producers Aaron Sorkin, Thomas Schlamme and John Wells received the TV Showmanship Award from Warner Bros. TV prexy Peter Roth;
- Wayne Newton presented a tribute to the USO;
- the Maxwell Weinberg Publicists Showmanship Award for Movies went to publicists in the Warner Bros. publicity department for their campaign on “Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone”;
- the Maxwell Weinberg Award for Television was handed to ABC TV publicist Jeff Fordis and Touchstone publicist Clarissa Gilmore for their work on “Alias”;
- and the 2002 directory of members was dedicated to AP correspondent Bob Thomas by Daily Variety columnist Army Archerd.
Want Entertainment News First? Sign up for Variety Alerts and Newsletters!