WASHINGTON–The 1914 pic that introduced Western silent star William S. Hart to the world was among 39 films destined Tuesday for rescue by the National Film Preservation Foundation via $140,000 in grant money to various orgs around the country.
“The Bargain,” co-written by Thomas Ince and shot on location at the Grand Canyon, is housed at the Library of Congress, which will receive the NFPF grant.
The federally funded grants, announced twice a year, are aimed at restoring and saving “orphan” pics not preserved by commercial interests. Other works tapped in the spring 2002 round include clandestinely shot footage of Jewish refugees on board the Exodus (1947); “Bermuda to Baltimore” (1937), celebrating the inaugural flight of Pan Am’s Bermuda Clipper; and home movies by the Ansel Adams family in New Mexico.
Specific dollar amounts for each grant were not available.
In Los Angeles, the iota Center received grants to preserve James Whitney’s “Lapis” (1966) and John Whitney’s computer-animated “Permutations” (1968).
“Sotiros” (1975), by avant-garde filmmaker Robert Beavers, will be preserved through a grant to the Whitney Museum of Art in New York.
Brakhage trio on list
Also in Gotham, the Anthology Film Archives will receive several grants to preserve the avant-garde works of Stan Brakhage, including “The Act of Seeing With One’s Own Eyes” (1971), a portrait of a city morgue; “Deus Ex” (1971), a study of the West Pennsylvania Hospital of Pittsburgh; and “Eyes” (1971), a snapshot of Pittsburgh police at night.
The L.A.-based Japanese American National Museum will receive money to preserve the Fukuzaki family collection of home movies, shot on Terminal Island before residents of the fishing community were forced into World War II detention camps.
The St. Vincent Medical Center in L.A. will receive a grant to preserve “Polito at St. Vincent’s Hospital,” shot by Hollywood cinematographer Sol Polito in the mid-1930s.
The Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual, Transgender Historical Society of Northern California in San Francisco was awarded money to preserve a set of home movies of the Bay Area gay community in the 1940s and ’50s.