Director also attached to 'Man,' 'Caesar'
Paramount Pictures and MTV Films have tapped helmer Tony Scott to go into battle with “The Warriors.”
Scott has signed on to direct an updated version of Paramount’s 1979 actioner, which centered on Gotham gang battles sparked by a small group of gang members being falsely accused of murdering a peace-seeking leader.
Project is being produced by MTV Films and Scott Free Prods., the shingle headed by Tony Scott and brother Ridley Scott. MTV execs Van Toffler, David Gale and Michael Cole will oversee along with Scott Free execs Anne Lai and prexy of production Liza Ellzey. Par exec VP Brian Witten is the studio exec on the project.
Tony Scott’s editor Skip Chaisson will be co-producer. “Skip and I have been in business for many years,” Scott said. “Skip’s vision inspired me to revisit one of my all-time favorite films.”
Scott has committed to direct “Man on Fire” next year for Regency Enterprises and Fox 2000 (Daily Variety, July 24). He also is attached to “American Caesar” at Universal and the Intermedia-based “Pancho Villa.”
Scripters John Glenn and Travis Wright were tapped earlier this year to pen the “Warriors” update, which will mesh styles of Hong Kong martial arts pix and contemporary action features.
John Goldwyn, vice chair of the Motion Picture Group and Paramount prexy, said, “We are thrilled to have a director the caliber of Tony Scott at the helm of this project. All of us at Paramount are excited to work with him.”
Toffler said, “We have always loved ‘The Warriors’ and have been nurturing the idea of a remake for some time, while we tried to find a world-class filmmaker to partner with. Tony and Skip’s vision for this project is absolutely original, and totally in sync with ours. We couldn’t be more excited.”