Globo News broke story despite pleas
SAO PAOLO — Some media moguls just don’t get respect, particularly from rivals — even amid kidnappings.
Last week, Brazilian media chieftain Silvio Santos escaped unharmed after being held hostage for seven hours in his Sao Paolo mansion by the man who allegedly had earlier kidnapped his daughter.
Santos had pleaded with media rivals for a news blackout, fearing his daughter would be killed. But rival 24-hour news net Globo News broke the story anyway.
The bizarre drama unfolded Aug. 30, two days after his 24-year-old daughter, Patricia Abravanel, was released following seven days in captivity.
Alleged kidnapper Fernando Dutra Pinto evaded a police raid on the hotel where he was reportedly hiding out, killing two cops in his escape, authorities said. He fled to the mansion of Santos, owner of Brazil’s No. 2 network SBT, and broke in at 7 a.m.
The police arrived soon after and managed to free other members of the household, but Pinto held Santos until the afternoon, demanding treatment for gunshot wounds.
He gave himself up following negotiations with state governor Geraldo Alckimin.
Pinto was said to be part of a gang that allegedly snatched Abravanel from the mansion on Aug. 21, bundling her away in her own car. The family reportedly paid $2 million for her release.
Brazil has had several waves of kidnappings since the late 1980s, but only isolated incidents have been made public in the past three years.