You will be redirected back to your article in seconds

Canuck net nabs station

CTV acquires Quebec's CFCF in $91.8 mil deal

MONTREAL — Canadian network CTV has been given the greenlight from broadcast regulators to acquire Montreal station CFCF, the most popular English-language station in Quebec, in a deal worth C$141.5 million ($91.8 million).

Last April, CTV inked with rival Global Communications to purchase its 70% stake in CFCF, and since then CDP Capital Communications, a subsidiary of the powerful Quebec government pension-plan investor, sold CTV the remaining 30%.

Broadcast regulator the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission forced Global to sell its take in CFCF because it has its own local station in Montreal.

“CFCF is a Montreal institution, a vital part of a vital community,” said Trina McQueen, president of CTV. “Our new relationship gives us a chance to build on CF’s local excellence.”

CFCF was a CTV affiliate but was not previously owned and operated by the network. CTV is owned by telecom company BCE, which is based in Montreal — one reason many observers felt the network needed to own a station in the city.

More TV

  • International Emmys

    Kenneth Branagh, Anna Friel, 'Alan Partridge,' and 'Mammon II' Win International Emmy Awards

    MONTREAL — Canadian network CTV has been given the greenlight from broadcast regulators to acquire Montreal station CFCF, the most popular English-language station in Quebec, in a deal worth C$141.5 million ($91.8 million). Last April, CTV inked with rival Global Communications to purchase its 70% stake in CFCF, and since then CDP Capital Communications, a […]

  • Laura Dern Emmy Award Win

    New York Women in Film & Television to Honor Laura Dern, Judith Light, Others at Muse Awards

    MONTREAL — Canadian network CTV has been given the greenlight from broadcast regulators to acquire Montreal station CFCF, the most popular English-language station in Quebec, in a deal worth C$141.5 million ($91.8 million). Last April, CTV inked with rival Global Communications to purchase its 70% stake in CFCF, and since then CDP Capital Communications, a […]

  • TV News Roundup: 'Philip K. Dick's

    TV News Roundup: Amazon Anthology 'Philip K. Dick's Electric Dreams' Sets Premiere Date

    MONTREAL — Canadian network CTV has been given the greenlight from broadcast regulators to acquire Montreal station CFCF, the most popular English-language station in Quebec, in a deal worth C$141.5 million ($91.8 million). Last April, CTV inked with rival Global Communications to purchase its 70% stake in CFCF, and since then CDP Capital Communications, a […]

  • Marvel's Runaways Review

    TV Review: 'Marvel's Runaways' on Hulu

    MONTREAL — Canadian network CTV has been given the greenlight from broadcast regulators to acquire Montreal station CFCF, the most popular English-language station in Quebec, in a deal worth C$141.5 million ($91.8 million). Last April, CTV inked with rival Global Communications to purchase its 70% stake in CFCF, and since then CDP Capital Communications, a […]

  • This Is Us Season 2

    Delayed Viewing Ratings: 8 of Top 25 Shows Double in Week 6

    MONTREAL — Canadian network CTV has been given the greenlight from broadcast regulators to acquire Montreal station CFCF, the most popular English-language station in Quebec, in a deal worth C$141.5 million ($91.8 million). Last April, CTV inked with rival Global Communications to purchase its 70% stake in CFCF, and since then CDP Capital Communications, a […]

  • Jason Blum

    NBCUniversal Cable Orders Pilot for Supernatural Thriller Series With Jason Blum Producing

    MONTREAL — Canadian network CTV has been given the greenlight from broadcast regulators to acquire Montreal station CFCF, the most popular English-language station in Quebec, in a deal worth C$141.5 million ($91.8 million). Last April, CTV inked with rival Global Communications to purchase its 70% stake in CFCF, and since then CDP Capital Communications, a […]

  • Charlie Rose Sexual Misconduct

    CBS, PBS, Bloomberg Suspend Charlie Rose Amid Sexual Harassment Allegations

    MONTREAL — Canadian network CTV has been given the greenlight from broadcast regulators to acquire Montreal station CFCF, the most popular English-language station in Quebec, in a deal worth C$141.5 million ($91.8 million). Last April, CTV inked with rival Global Communications to purchase its 70% stake in CFCF, and since then CDP Capital Communications, a […]

More From Our Brands

Access exclusive content