LONDON — European soccer org UEFA has postponed all remaining soccer matches skedded to be played this week following the terrorist attacks on the U.S.
A total 13 games went ahead Tuesday night, sparking outrage from Europe’s media, coaches, players and fans.
UEFA, however, said it had had no choice but to proceed given the security logistics involved in canceling the matches – some of which had already begun – at such short notice.
The decision to call a halt affects the UEFA Champions League as well as the UEFA Cup, both of which are pan-European leagues.
But many still saw UEFA’s initial inaction as unconscionable.
In Rome, Aldo Agroppi, soccer commentator for the Stream network, said: “UEFA’s decision is inconceivable. Italy is in mourning and all sporting events should be cancelled.”
Roma president Franco Sensi, whose Roma club played Real Madrid on the night, added: “This is one game I never wanted played. Today was the greatest tragedy since World War II.”